AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to restore BDM VID/PID...

Question asked by Rich Testardi on Mar 26, 2009
Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 by Rich Testardi

This might be the totally wrong place to ask this, but I'm desperate.

I have a M52259DEMOKIT board which uses the "JM60 BDM / JTAG OSTAP", according to Windows Device Manager.  I run Code Warrior 4.7, 5.9, and 7.1 for development across the Freescale product line.

My problem is that, as near as I can tell, CodeWarrior 4.7 (or more likely HiWave, that it launched) at one point told me it had to download new firmware to my BDM, and rather than selecting a BDM attached to an HCS12, it selected the one attached to the M52259DEMOKIT.

As a result of the new firmware, the DEMOKIT BDM changed from presenting VID/PID 0425/1001 to the Windows (for which Windows has a valid INF file and driver), to presenting VID/PID 15A2/0035 (for which no INF and consequently no driver exists).

This turned my M52259DEMOKIT into a brick.

I'm seeking help on a number of fronts:

1. can someone explain to me the myriad of BDMs and BDM terminology out there to me?  Up to now, I've used P&E Micro BDMs with the exception of one HCS12 board and the M52259DEMOKIT -- the two of which seem to have caused this negative interaction.

2. how do I get new firmware for the BDM and how do I find out what VID/PID it will present to Windows, so I can go back to 0425/1001?

3. how do I prevent this problem from happening again -- right now I have a new M52259DEMOKIT and am being careful to unplug it whenever CW4.7 is running, but I'm sure I'll slip up eventually as I bounce between all these MCUs and CW versions on a daily basis.

Thank you.

-- Rich

PS and for extra credit, if anyone can tell me how to make the BDM in question *not* step into the timer ISR whenever I single-step, that would be great, too -- single step is unusable on this BDM otherwise (it works fine on P&E Micro).

Outcomes