How to restore BDM VID/PID...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore BDM VID/PID...

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

This might be the totally wrong place to ask this, but I'm desperate.

I have a M52259DEMOKIT board which uses the "JM60 BDM / JTAG OSTAP", according to Windows Device Manager.  I run Code Warrior 4.7, 5.9, and 7.1 for development across the Freescale product line.

My problem is that, as near as I can tell, CodeWarrior 4.7 (or more likely HiWave, that it launched) at one point told me it had to download new firmware to my BDM, and rather than selecting a BDM attached to an HCS12, it selected the one attached to the M52259DEMOKIT.

As a result of the new firmware, the DEMOKIT BDM changed from presenting VID/PID 0425/1001 to the Windows (for which Windows has a valid INF file and driver), to presenting VID/PID 15A2/0035 (for which no INF and consequently no driver exists).

This turned my M52259DEMOKIT into a brick.

I'm seeking help on a number of fronts:

1. can someone explain to me the myriad of BDMs and BDM terminology out there to me?  Up to now, I've used P&E Micro BDMs with the exception of one HCS12 board and the M52259DEMOKIT -- the two of which seem to have caused this negative interaction.

2. how do I get new firmware for the BDM and how do I find out what VID/PID it will present to Windows, so I can go back to 0425/1001?

3. how do I prevent this problem from happening again -- right now I have a new M52259DEMOKIT and am being careful to unplug it whenever CW4.7 is running, but I'm sure I'll slip up eventually as I bounce between all these MCUs and CW versions on a daily basis.

Thank you.

-- Rich

PS and for extra credit, if anyone can tell me how to make the BDM in question *not* step into the timer ISR whenever I single-step, that would be great, too -- single step is unusable on this BDM otherwise (it works fine on P&E Micro).

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II

Well, I figured it out...  There was no magic reprogramming of a BDM going on (well, there was, but it was most likely a different BDM -- I believe only the P&E's support a firmware upgrade procedure thru CW).

If you find that your BDM spontaneously changes VID/PID and is no longer recognized by Windows, check to see if you accidentally installed J5 on the DEMOKIT board (connected to IRQ/TPMCLK).  Apparently both personalities are built into the same firmware, and that jumper causes a switch -- you want the jumper removed.

Sorry for the noise.  I figured I'd at least post the resolution in case anyone else ever has the issue.

-- Rich

0 Kudos