cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6Solox with EPD Display

Invent_Piano
Contributor II

Hi, 

I would like to interact with an EPD raw display, 4.7inch 800x600 pixel,  using i.MX6Solox SoC, NXP Part number = MCIMX6X1CVO08AB. The SoC has 24-bit display interface , but not EDP. Does NXP have a reference design/Schematic that can be used to as design support for overcoming this challenge?  or we must use an external EPD display controller? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Musadjan Alim,

The i.MX6SX does not have an EPD Controller. The EPD communication is very different than the regular parallel interface used on other display panels. In this case my recommendation would be using an external EPD driver. A good place to start would be contacting eInk. The i.MX6 integrated EPD Controllers require a parser that is proprietary of eInk so you would want to make sure that your choice of display can work with the external EPD driver.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos

Invent_Piano
Contributor II

Hi, thank you very much for the prompt answer. In term of EDP implementation on  i.MX6xx, I have a development platform which is built with i.MX6ULL, NXP part number : MCIMX6Y2CVM08AB that does not have EPD driver block on it, according to the datasheet & part configuration table. However fortunately I could configure a part number MCIMX6Y7CVM08AB ( i.MX6ULL) which includes EDP driver block on it. My questions are:

• What are difference between those two packages , in term Pin/Ball configurations.  Are they pin compatible ? 
  • How about the status of EPD software support deliverable for MCIMX6Y7CVM08AB? 
  • How about stock availability of the MCIMX6Y7CVM08AB? 

I.MX6ULLpng.png

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Musadjan Alim,

Parts with or without EPDC are pin-to-pin compatible provided that they have the same Package Type (this is relevant on the i.MX6ULL as there are two package types).

As for availability, you may check the i.MX6ULL Buy section of the i.MX6ULL website.

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-proces...

There is an Application Note (AN5350, link below) that covers the i.MX6ULL Migration from the i.MX6UL. There is a section dedicated to the EPDC signals, but we do not have a reference design per se.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN5350.pdf

As for stock of the MCIMX6Y7CVM08AB, this part number is not listed on the Buy section. The closest is MCIMX6Y7DVM09AB. It could be that there is not an industrial part number with EPDC available as EPDs are not as prevalent on industrial applications, but you may contact your Distributor or Sales Representative to inquiry about availability.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos