cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ready-to-use antennas for PN532

lukasl95
Contributor I

Hello everyone.

For a project I need a NFC chip as a communication interface to a mobile phone. It would be ok to communicate directly with the phone or to write to a MIFARE Classic tag which is then read by the phone.

Due to software design reasons, it has to be the PN532 chip.

For functional prototyping I used an Arduino Uno and a PN532 breakout board which worked very well. 

I would immediately use such boards as they are, but unfortunately the antenna is too big for my use case. The antenna's dimensions must not exceed 20mm x 60mm.

The problem is that I have no background in the RFID/NFC technology, especially in designing custom antennas.

Therefore, I would really appreciate any tips,

(1) if there are ready-to-use antennas that are compatible with the PN532 chip and just have to be connected/soldered to it or

(2) if there are any breakout-boards available in my required dimensions (I did not find any) or

(3) if there is a way to reuse existing components (e.g. parts of such breakout boards, and just replace antenna) to build a new module to overcome my lack of knowledge.

Thank you very much!

Lukas

Tags (2)
3 Replies

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

First of all, the PN532 is not recommended for new designs, for new designs, it is recommended to use PN7120 or PN7150.

The major challenge is not the antenna, but the matching circuit, Even if you had an already made antenna within the dimensions you require, it will be necessary to match it to the IC for an optimum transfer of power. It will be helpful to please refer to the following link for the antenna design guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN1445_An1444.zip

Hope this helps.

BR,

Ivan.

lukasl95
Contributor I

Thank you for your answer! It think it will help, but first, I need to study the design guide...:D

Can you tell me the reason why it is not recommended to use the PN532?

Regards

Lukas

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lukas,

This is a known state in a product's lifetime when it is about to to go to end of life status.

BR,

Ivan.

0 Kudos