AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX 8M Mini MDIO read is always zeros to KSZ8081RNA PHY.

Question asked by Dan Kendall on Jan 13, 2020
Latest reply on Jan 14, 2020 by Wigros Sun

Hi,

I have a custom board using an i.MX 8M Mini on an Emcraft SOM, in which there is a KSZ8081RNA PHY used for Ethernet. I am testing in U-boot to verify the connection to the PHY. This is a RMII connection. The failure seems to be occurring in the initial MDIO connection, which then doesn’t load the appropriate driver. When I test MDIO reads, the response is always zeros. This occurs for all PHY addresses (mdio read 0-1f 0-5).

I have verified with another dev kit, that the PHY is functioning, by wiring the dev kit to the custom board MDIO/MDC lines. This produced valid receive responses.

I have verified with a scope that the MDIO/MDC signals exist. The transmit portion of the MDIO command is occurring, but the read portion is always low. This leads me to believe there may be a misconfiguration of the MDIO pin that is keeping the signal low. There is a 1K pull-up on the MDIO signal.

I currently have the MDIO pins set to (PAD_CTL_DSE7 | PAD_CTL_FSEL2 | PAD_CTL_ODE) in imx8mm_som.c (IMX8MM_PAD_ENET_MDIO_ENET1_MDIO, IMX8MM_PAD_ENET_MDC_ENET1_MDC). I also have the MDIO pins set to 0x37 in emcraft-imx8mm-som.dts (MX8MM_IOMUXC_ENET_MDC_ENET1_MDC, MX8MM_IOMUXC_ENET_MDIO_ENET1_MDIO). I’m not sure of the order if the dtb loads before the board_init() function, or the other way around.

Thanks,

Dan K.

Outcomes