What are flexIO pros and cons?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are flexIO pros and cons?

paul_guirbal
Contributor II

Hi all, I am new to NXP MCUs and I was wondering: are there any disadvantages in using #flexio module rather than a real UART for example?

I guess it adds some complexity to the code in the configuration part since it is able to emulate a lot of peripherals. Is there anything I should know in the working principle of this flexIO module that could have an impact (I mean a different one if we compare with a regular UART) on the operation (increased consumption, more clock cycles / time to run, ...)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Tags (2)
2 Replies

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

Using FlexIO you should be able to emulate complete UART functionality so you do need to worry about any negative impact on the UART operation. An advantage of FlexIO is that gives you the opportunity to increase UART modules available in the device as well as other protocols as you mentioned.

I recommend you to check our SDK examples we provide depending on the MCU you are working on. This will give you more hints regarding FlexIO functionality.

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Felipe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paul_guirbal
Contributor II

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for your help, I will check that!

0 Kudos