Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout ROM Bootloader

Jump to solution
jan_ymanas
Contributor II

Hi, 

We're using a KE1xF with ROM bootloader. Testing the Bootloader timeout we have noticed that the bootloader spends 208ms regardless of timeout value. To check this behaviour we did a simple app that at boot resets device with different bootloader timeout, and capture reset signal with oscilloscope.

In the first image the bootloader timeout is 50ms and the second is 1ms. So you can see a delay between reset of 258ms in first example, and 209ms (see cursors) With these examples, we don't understand the extra 208ms that bootloader spends doing anything.

If we want only 10 or 50 ms in bootloader, what is the solution?

Thanks for your support

Jan

.peripheralDetectionTimeoutMs = 0x0032//50ms

pastedImage_1.png

and 

.peripheralDetectionTimeoutMs = 0x0001//1ms

scope_3.png

1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I've investigated this problem. It is a ROM bootloader bug. I've reported it. But there seems no way to get around.

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jan,

I made a demo to show you how to set this time. In startup_mke18f16.c, I add a BCA_DATA structure. I set the time to 20ms. You can set this data to other value. It seems work. Please also notice Flash_Config above it.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
jan_ymanas
Contributor II

Hi Jing Pan,

We already know how to set the timeout on the BCA field but we don't know why the ROM Bootloader spends an extra 208ms regardless the timeout value, so that is

Actual timeout = BCA timeout + 208ms

Our question was why are 200ms added and whether there is any solution.

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

but in my example, it hasn't this 200ms. I use oscilloscope to capture reset pin and the output pin. It seems fine. Please take a try.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
jan_ymanas
Contributor II

Hi Jing Pan, 

I was testing it. Modifying the startup_mke18f16.c from your example code and setting our BCA configuration values:

__attribute__ ((used,section(".BootloaderConfig"))) const struct {
    unsigned int     d1;
 unsigned int     d2;    // [04:07] crcStartAddress
 unsigned int     d3;    // [08:0b] crcByteCount
 unsigned int     d4;    // [0c:0f] crcExpectedValue
    unsigned char    d5;    // [10:10] enabledPeripherals
 unsigned char    d6;    // [11:11] i2cSlaveAddress
    unsigned short   d7;    // [12:13] peripheralDetectionTimeoutMs - Timeout in milliseconds for peripheral detection before jumping to application code
 unsigned short   d8;    // [14:15] usbVid
 unsigned short   d9;    // [16:17] usbPid
 unsigned long    d10;   // [18:1b] usbStringsPointer
 unsigned char    d11;   // [1c:1c] clockFlags - High Speed and other clock options
 unsigned char    d12;   // [1d:1d] clockDivider - One's complement of clock divider, zero divider is divide by 1
 unsigned char   d13;    // [1e:1e] Bootflags Enable/disable communication with host
 unsigned char d14; // [1f:1f] Reserved, set to 0xFF
 unsigned int d15; // [20:23] A pointer to the MMCAU configuration
 unsigned int  d16; // [24:27]Holds a pointer value to the key blob
 unsigned char d17; // [28:28] reserved
 unsigned char d18; // [29:29] Canconfig1 ClkSel[1], PropSeg[3], SpeedIndex[4]
 unsigned short d19; // [2a:2b] Canconfig2 Pdiv[8], Pseg1[3], Pseg2[3],  rjw[2]
 unsigned short d20; // [2c:2d] txId
 unsigned short d21; // [2e:2f] rxId
 unsigned int d22; // [30:33] A pointer to the QSPI config

} BCA_DATA = {  0x6766636b,0xFFFFFFFF,0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xE8, 0xFF, 0x000A,
         0xFFFF, 0xFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFFFF,
   0x0123, 0x0321,0xFFFFFFFF};

We guess that there is a possible issue on the enabledPeripherals field. When we set that field to 0xFF (default value) the timeout meets with set value, but when we set only the CANbus peripheral (0xE8) the timeout adds 208ms extra to the set value.

We don't know what is happening, maybe the initialisation of peripheral adds this delay... but 200ms seems too much.

It is possible to avoid that extra timeout value?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Yes, it sounds strange but I also see it. When I disable LPI2C, this 200ms delay appears. It seems you have to enable LPI2C whether or not to use it.

Regards,

Jing

jan_ymanas
Contributor II

Hi Jing Pan, 

thank you for the reply. 

In our application is not possible to enable LPI2C.  We can only have the CANbus peripheral enabled. We'r running on a 1.2.0 Bootloader version, is there any way to fix that problem? 

Best regards,

Jan.  

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I've investigated this problem. It is a ROM bootloader bug. I've reported it. But there seems no way to get around.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos