What is the purpose of the MCUXpresso Map File Editor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of the MCUXpresso Map File Editor?

rshipman
Contributor V

By default, MCUXpresso IDE associates .map files with its Map File Editor.

This tool seems to be a bit buggy and cannot handle large .map files (~15MBytes) without long delays or the JVM running out of memory. At least on my machine - Windows 10, 16GBytes of RAM. My colleague's Windows 7 machine with 12 GBytes RAM did not get these excessive delays (but obviously it still took time to read the file). We could not see any obvious/related difference in the MCUXpresso settings. Nearly all settings are the default anyway.

MCUXpresso seems to need to process the .map files whenever it opens a workspace (containing a project with a large .map file), as well as when building and debugging the project. And debugging rarely recovered.

I have to associate all .map files to Text Editor to prevent this problem.

What would be really useful is some documentation to tell me why we need a Map File Editor?

- What errors is it looking for that the compiler/linker do not find?

- What is the purpose of 'editing' a .map file when it is just the human-readable translation of the binary?

- What else does it provide?

I don't want to blindy disable a tool that could potentially be very useful.

I didn't find anything obvious when I searched google or the MCUXpresso help pages.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Duplicate thread - response posted at https://community.nxp.com/thread/519693#comment-1242461 

0 Kudos