cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M Mini USB power consumption

david_vekony
Contributor II

Hi,

Can someone advice me what can I expect from the USB power consumption of the Mini using imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga?

It seems that configuring a USB controller as a gadget (e.g. g_serial) results in a power consumption increase of 315mW. There is no active connection, no traffic, just the gadget configured.

According to AN12410 the power consumption of the processor shouldn't be more than ~240mW even in cases when there is actual data transfer over USB.

Thanks!

David

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Possibly when you are turning USB on you are also turning on something more in addition to USB.

0 Kudos

david_vekony
Contributor II

Thanks Victor. I'm configuring the gadget using the gadget configfs (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/gadget_configfs.txt), I don't have any other application running.

Can there be anything in the kernel regarding power domains, clocks, etc, that could somehow result in this increased power consumption?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Possibly you powers both USB cores.

Also please note that USB controllers have normal mode and low power mode. It can be used to reduce power consumption.
The device can go into the Suspend state after it sees a constant Idle state on the upstream facing port.
The OTG controller core enters Suspend mode after 3ms of inactivity on the port when it is in Device Operation mode.
Host controllers, including the OTG controller in Host mode, do not suspend automatically but can be placed in Suspend mode by software.

0 Kudos