Connecting LS1020A SGMII to 1000BASE-X w/o PHY?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting LS1020A SGMII to 1000BASE-X w/o PHY?

rainer_boschung
Contributor I

Hi

in our system we use 1000BASE-X (w/o electrical-to-optical converter, full duplex, fix rate, no AN) for on our backplane ethernet communication. For the design of a new module we selected the LS1020 as board controller, and we intent to connect it directly to the backplane w/o any PHY. We assume this should be feasible since the the SGMII and 1000BASE-X are compatible, as long as no speed adaptation is required. 

• Can you confirm that the #LS1020A in #SGMII mode can be connected to a 1000BASE-X w/o  PHY?
  • Or must we use 1000BASE-KX? (but seems not to be supported by the LS1020A)
  • Is there any special feature to be considered when configuring this application case?
  • Could you provide any pointers to code examples U-Boot, Kernel DTS

Thanks

Rainer

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos

rainer_boschung
Contributor I

After a lot of reading I increased my  confidence that a direct connection of the LS1020 to our 1000Base-X -backplane is feasible.

I think the following configuration could work. It configures the eTESC to operate in 1000BASE-X full-duplex mode without auto-neg. Can anybody confirm this?

MAC configuration:

• ECNTRL[TBIM]=1, ECNTRL[SGMIIM]=1, ECNTRL[R100M]=0
  • MACCFG2[I/F Mode]=0b10

TBI configuration:

• CR[Speed_0, Speed_1]=0b01, CR[AN_Enale]=0, CR[Full_Duplex]=1
  • ANA[Half-duplex]=0, ANA[Full-duplex]=1
  • TBICON[AN_Sense]=1, TBICON[MII_Mode]=0

But since the ANLPBPA register cannot be written I do not see how the MAC gets knowledge of the link partner abilities. Could anybody help me with this topic.

Thanks
Rainer

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

See the following page about problem for your connection:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/soluti...

https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/resources/an-2036_1000base-t_sfp_faqreve1.pdf

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

rainer_boschung
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

thanks for your support.

Intel's errata concerns implementation in their FPGAs only (I think). Since we will not connect to an Intel FPGA, I think this will not be an issue for us. We intend to connect the LS1021 SerDes pins running SGMII directly connected to a 1340 from Marvell.

Have a nice day,

Rainer

0 Kudos