AnsweredAssumed Answered

The Leakage of Pressure Sensor MPX2010GS

Question asked by Bastian Striebel on Nov 11, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2019 by Bastian Striebel

Hi, I have the same problem as zhang bin had with his MPX2050AP (asked here at 21.04.2019). I am evaluating the MPX2010GS and have seen about 400 sensors (out of 11 batches) of this type so far. I experienced the MPX2010GS as a very very good sensor with very reproducible and very stable signal. The used silicon gel is also very resistant against  various solvent vapors for a very long time!

In my application I need to monitor the pressure of an enclosed volume. Leakage therefor appears as a pressure drop.

Now I have trouble with some sensors of batch KJN835D. I found 14 out of 64 sensors leaky. Leakage on connectors are cross checked and are therefor ineligible. While up to eight sensors are working in parallel (connected to different volumes) voltage and ambient deviations can also be excluded as possible cause.

All sensors, except the KJN835D batch, are tight (for days and weeks). All sensors were experienced to the same (small) mechanical stress.
The leakage of the defective sensors is typically in the range of 10mm³/min at 1kPa (10% of full rated pressure) and very reproducible.

In the datasheet are no soldering references given. In the other thread Mr. Morales wrote some reflow parameter. Are these parameter obligatory? I thing such a low max temperature would be stated clearly in the DS.

Where exactly is the sealing? - The sensitive parts of the sensor are enclosed with a stainless steel plate. This plate has a hole for gas exchange. Are the edges of the of this plate tightly connected to the body?
Or let me state the question the other way around: How to seal a MPXM2010D/DT1 - CASE 1320-02? Just around the hole or all around the steel plate?

Are issues known in the gluing process of the sensor cap?

Thanks in advance

Outcomes