Is MP3V5050GP suitable to measure vacuum?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is MP3V5050GP suitable to measure vacuum?

manolis
Contributor I

Hello, I am trying to find a pressure sensor to measure vacuum. I have found some sensors from this page Vacuum Sensors –50 to –115 kPa | NXP . The sensor MP3V5050GP  for example is included in this list but the pressure shown has only positive values "0.0 - 50.0". I am wondering whether this means that it can measure only positive or only negative pressure, meaning that it is unidirectional. Otherwise this sensor would have been placed in this category by mistake and it is not suitable for vacuum measurements.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You are correct, the MP3V5050GP is mistakenly placed in this category since it can only be used for positive pressure.

For Vacuum measurement on that pressure range (-50kPa to 0kPa) I would recommend the MP3V5050VC6U, you can find the datasheet ion the following link: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MP3V5050V.pdf

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

manolis
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. From what I can see there other errors as well in the ICs specification pages. For example, on the page for MP3V5050VC6U the pressure is noted as "0 - 50 kPa" when in reality it is "-50 - 0 kPa" as denoted in the datasheet. Also, having a specific page with the category of " Vacuum Sensors –50 to –115 kPa" and then including numerous products that are NOT suitable for vacuum measurements is really disappointing to see from a company such as NXP. 

Maybe I have not understood correctly how pressure sensors are specified. Can MP3V5050DP be used for example to measure vacuum differentially? For example on the two sides of a filter where you would measure whether the filter is clogged or not. One side could have -50kPa and the other -10kPa or 0kPa. Would that be a suitable IC?

Best regards,

Manolis

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manolis,

Thank you for your feedback, I’ll send it to our documentation and web team to correct the information.

No, MP3V5050DP can only be used for positive differential pressure.

From this family only the following devices are vacuum compatible:

MP3V5050V: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MP3V5050V.pdf

MPXV5050VC6T1: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MPXV5050VC6T1.pdf

As a tip, you can differentiate between pressure sensors by checking the part number, I’m taking the MP3V5050DP, the MP3V5050V and the MPXV5050DP for example as follow:

MP3V5050DP:

MP3 = 3V Pressure sensor

V = SMD package

5 = Family (MPX5xxx family)

050 = Pressure range in Kpa (Up to 50kPa)

DP = Differential Pressure

MP3V5050V:

MP3 = 3V Pressure sensor

V = SMD package

050 = Pressure range in Kpa (Down to -50kPa)

V = Vacuum Pressure

MPXV5050DP:

MPX = 5V Pressure sensor

V = SMD package

050 = Pressure range in Kpa (Up to 50kPa)

DP = Differential Pressure

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

manolis
Contributor I

Hi Jose,

Once again, thank you for your prompt reply.

I went through NXP's sensor selection pdf and it seems the only vacuum sensors currently in the portfollio are the following:

pastedImage_1.png

This lists notes that the MP3V5050V is available in SOP dual port package (presumably for differential vacuum measurements), but I can't really find any such products.

My final question is this: Is there any product in the portfolio that can take differential vacuum measurements or not?

Best regards,

Manolis

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Manolis,

There is an error on that document, there is no MP3V505V packaged in SOP dual port capable of measuring vacuum.

The only SOP dual port (measure differential pressure) from this MP3V5xxx family is the MP3V5050DP, but it is designed to operate with positive differential pressure applied, P1 > P2.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos