FRDM-K64F not enumerating

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-K64F not enumerating

nick2
Contributor II

Hi, Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've just got hold of a new FRDM-K64F and am trying to follow the Get Started Tutorial on a Win10 machine.  It implies that when plugged in the development board should appear as a COM port but that's not happening for me.

In fact, when I plug it in nothing happens at all until I hit the reset button.  Then the Window USB device attaching sound plays and an explorer window pops up showing the device as BOOTLOADER (E:).  After a while the USB device detaching sound plays and this window goes away.

The tutorial says that moving the board should light an LED to show the accelerometer but that's not working at all.

Do I need to add something to E:?  I've tried  loading the hello_world.bin file to E: and it certainly does something - the green LED flashes faster but there is still no COM port to talk to :smileysad:

Please help me to make sense of this.

Thanks

Nick

Tags (2)
4 Replies

nick2
Contributor II

Hi Erich

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I have a feeling that my problem is more fundamental than this.  

You post talks about a SDA_INFO.HTM file and other posts talk of LASTSTAT.TXT.  My machine does not have these at all. It has bootload.htm, .Trashes, .metadata_never_index and a folder called .fseventsd which has an empty file no_log.

When I copy the BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA file to the device it seems to be working but then gives up, the explorer disappears and there's the USB device disconnecting sound coming from the PC.  When I reboot the device the explorer pops up again but there's no sign of any files having been added to the device.

I also have an old W7 laptop.  I have not loaded any drivers (do I need to?) but as soon as I copy the file to the device from the W7 machine the transfer stops and the device disconnects.

Does this situation ring any bells?  I've had a look at the comments section on your post (and some others too) and do not see the same situation.

Any help much appreciated.

Nick

0 Kudos

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Such a .Trashes file/folder does not ring any bells. This seems to come from the host OS trying to write to the device. If you have any virus scanner other than the default windows one active, I would disable it as it could try to write to the device.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

nick2
Contributor II

Thanks for you help Erich.  I've managed to get it working now and in case anyone else is faced with this issue I thought I'd document what I did here.

I convinced myself that the device was bricked beyond all repair so organised a swap-out.  I felt a bit smug when I plugged it into my W7 machine and the coloured LED was flashing away.  So I entered bootloader mode and... it ended up in the same state.

The links you gave me didn't seem to resemble my situation but from them I found this site

DAPLink bootloader update | Mbed and from it I determined my bootloader was simply out of date (and not bricked).

From this site I could download the latest DAPLink bootloader which for my FRDM-K64F was 0244_k20dx_bootloader_update_0x5000.bin.

I was using my old W7 machine so I didn't have to disable the Storage Service.  For people using W10 note that the link I give here only talks about stopping the Storage Service but the link Erich gives above also talks about disabling and stopping the Windows Search Service too.  I have no idea if you need to stop the Windows Search but I guess it can't hurt.

Step 3 in my link worked fine.  I used the link in step 5 (DAPLink ) and entered my board type and it gave me the DAPLink firmware file I needed (in my case 0253_k20dx_frdmk64f_0x5000.bin).  I loaded that to the device and when I was finished the coloured LED was flashing again and I now have an updated board.

Thanks for your links Erich.  Although they didn't help directly by following links on them I managed to get there in the end.

Regards

Nick

ErichStyger
Senior Contributor V

Could it be that your board has an old bootloader on it which is affected by a Windows 10 problem (see Recovering OpenSDA Boards with Windows 10 | MCU on Eclipse )?

If the bootloader is still showing up, you can use above post and disable the Windows search. Otherwise you would need a debug probe and use the approach listed in How to Recover the OpenSDA V2.x Bootloader | MCU on Eclipse .

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos