SJA1105P REF_CLK configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SJA1105P REF_CLK configuration

mschick
Contributor I

I am working on a custom board with a SJA1105P with three ports connecting to PHYs (MAC mode) and two ports connecting to MACs (PHY mode).  All ports are connected as RMII interfaces.  I'm clocking the switch with a 25MHz oscillator and want to clock the PHYs and MACs with 50MHz clocks from the switch REF_CLK outputs.

The product data sheet (SJA1105PQRS) states in section 6.2.2 RMII Signaling - "In both the PHY-MAC (i.e. PHY to switch) and MAC-MAC (i.e. processor to switch) configurations, the REF_CLK output on the Ethernet switch can provide the shared reference clock."

The application hints document (AH1704) states in section 5.1.1 Selectable Clock Sources - "IO pad (TXC, REF_CLK, TX_CLK) refered to as TX_CLK_x(02h*x)  This can operate as either and output (RGMII, RMII-MAC, MII PHY) or as input (RMII-PHY, MII-MAC)."  I take this to mean that the REF_CLK pin is an output in RMII MAC mode and an input in RMII PHY mode which contradicts the information in the data sheet.

Can the REF_CLK pins, in fact, provide 50MHz clocks when connected to external MACs (processors) in RMII PHY mode and how do I configure it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Normally as per RMII specifications, REF_CLK is an input signal in PHY mode. Yes, the SJA1105P has flexible clocking scheme and allows to output REF_CLK signal in RMII PHY mode. The user needs to configure the port's clock registers as in RMII MAC mode for that. See details in sections 5.1.7, 5.1.7.1, 5.1.7.2 of the AH1704.

Regards,

Bulat

0 Kudos