AnsweredAssumed Answered

IMXRT1060 example execution fails in release, but ok in debug

Question asked by Camille Louapre on Oct 15, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2019 by jeremyzhou

Hello everyone,

I am facing a problem using MIMXRT1060-EVK, which contains an MIMXRT1062DVL6A.
I am trying to execute a simple example: SDK_PATH/boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/led_blinky
I use GCC (gcc-arm-none-eabi-8-2018-q4-major) as toolchain, and SDK_2.6.2_EVK-MIMXRT1060_for_gcc as SDK.

When I use provided ./armgcc/build_flexspi_nor_release.sh, it builds fine, and I am able to flash it on EVK at adress 0x60000000 using a Segger JLink base probe, and it runs fine.

We already have a makefile compilation system, so I would like to use it, and to avoid using MUXpresso IDE or other external tool.

I am able to build the example, building the same files, linking the same (flags extracted from CMake previous compilation), both in release and debug.

When I launch the debug or release binary with the debugger (using MCUXpresso - just for debug), it works, the led blinks.
When I flash the release binary, using the Segger tool (not using MCUxpresso debug session), nothing happens, it does not work, even after a reset.

I am not familiar with NXP chip, but I have a good background in ST ones, and so in Cortex M chips.

I seems that the debugger does something needed by the release binary, but I don't know what.

• I tried several things:
  •  flashing at different adress (0x00000000)
  • playing with boot modes
  • using my own linker files - used for ST Cortex M4 chips (adapted for imx chip addresses)
  • using exactly the same cflags/asmflasg/ldflags as the cmake example
  • reduce built files to a minimum needed (with minor changes to enable build):
    • boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/led_blinky/board.c
    • boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/led_blinky/clock_config.c
    • boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/led_blinky/pin_mux.c
    • boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/led_blinky/led_blinky.c
    • devices/MIMXRT1062/drivers/fsl_gpio.c
    • devices/MIMXRT1062/drivers/fsl_clock.c
    • devices/MIMXRT1062/system_MIMXRT1062.c
  • using the same flags I used for building M4 chips (adapted flags regarding M core)

In each case, the debug session runs fine, but flashing release binary with segger tool does not.

I am a bit lost...

Attached flags I am currently using (which I use with success on other Cortex M projects)

I am currently using MIMXRT1062xxxxx_flexspi_nor.ld as linker file (as MIMXRT1062xxxxx_ram.ld does not work in any case, even building using provided cmake scripts)

Help appreciated !

Thanks,
Camille

Attachments

Outcomes