Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC33771 Initialization Issue

engineering
Contributor I

We are working on MC33771 and facing following issues

1. New Unit ID written in Initialization Register is valid only for 1Sec
  • After powering On the MC33771, We first write into Initialization register (CID = 0x01, BUS_SW=0)
  • With this new unit ID(0x01), We are able to read or Write any register only if we send the command within 1 Sec
  • If we send any command after 1Sec with unit ID=0x01, we don’t get response from MC33771
  • After 1 Sec we can read the register with unit ID=0x00 only

We want to know:-

• Is it the valid behavior of MC33771
    • As there is t-sleep time 1024mSec mentioned in datasheet (Device goes in sleep mode without external communication for this period)
    • After device goes in sleep mode, should it get RESET and we have to Initialize by assigning the unit ID again (we observed, it responses to Unit ID=0x00 only after we send any read command after valid wakeup sequence)
  • Is System configuration register 2 (SYS_CFG2) has no control over Unit ID retention
    • As we written DIS_SLEEP bit = 1 (Disable Automatic switch in Sleep mode) and AUTO_SWITCH bit = 0
    • When we read this register after 1 Sec with unit ID = 0x00, we get DIS_SLEEP bit = 1 and AUTO_SWITCH bit = 0, means the written value in this register is intact but unit ID(0x01) get sets to 0x00. (Because it responses to Unit ID=0x00 only)

1. Threshold value setting registers also sets to their default values if there is no communication for 1Sec

• After powering On the MC33771, We first write into Initialization register (CID = 0x01, BUS_SW=0)
  • With this new unit ID(0x01), We write DIS_SLEEP bit = 1 and AUTO_SWITCH bit = 0 in SYS_CFG2($04) register and new value 0xD985 in TH_ALL_CT ($4B)
  • We get the same value DIS_SLEEP bit = 1, AUTO_SWITCH bit = 0, and 0xD985 if we read these register within 1 Sec with unit ID= 0x01
  • If we send the command after 1 sec period with unit ID=0x01, MC33771 doesn’t respond
  • After 1 Sec, ith unit ID=0x00, we can read these registers. We get the same data written in SYS_CFG2($04) back but get value 0xD780 instead of previously written value (0xD985) from TH_ALL_CT ($4B).

We want to know:-

• Is it the valid behavior of MC33771
    • If threshold values are getting set to defaults then how safety functions (Over and under voltage detection) will be configured for the required values.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Wan
Contributor II

Dear Sir,

This problem has been solved and the chip has been replaced.

thank you!

0 Kudos

Wan
Contributor II

Dear Sir,

I ran into same problem.  in the first 1ms wakeup the MC33771, in the second 1ms written in Initialization Register, I successfully initialized the MC33771 chips . But in the first 10ms wakeup the MC33771, in the second 10ms written in Initialization Register,  I failed initialized the MC33771 chips。This may affect the awakening of the second MC3371C chip. I haven't solved it yet.

0 Kudos

engineering
Contributor I

Dear Sir,

As per your above reply and suggestion, we will check for hardware issue if any.

Can we make following assumptions? 

-   Newly configured Unit ID and threshold settings should be remain assigned even after MC33771 goes into sleep mode after 1Sec. MC33771 should response to assigned Unit ID when communicated every time after valid wakup sequence. 

- We are working with a faulty hardware?

Can you please answer this?

Because we are still not sure that, MC33771 should retain the configured parameters in the sleep mode or not? 

( When we continuously read parameters within every 1 sec after initialization followed by configuration, they shows the configured values continuously. If we stop the communication for 2 Sec (>1 Sec) start again, it responses only to Unit ID 00 after and all configured parameters shows the default values )

0 Kudos

guoweisun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

HI

I suggest you do debug task based on NXP MC33771 EVB,firstly eliminate hardware issue.

If still have issue,please let us know!

0 Kudos