cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with Kinetis-MCUs

Jump to solution
info13
Contributor II

Hello there! These days, I´m getting started with my first 32-bit MCUs, and for fiddling, I´m using a FRDM-KL25Z Board.
For the moment I´m haveing some questions. I´m coming from AVR 8-bit MCUs.

→ There´re seeming to be different types of Binary-Machinecode files. *.bin as well as *.axf and I think I saw others, too. What does that mean, only a different ending or more like different encoding or other reasons?

→ So far, I discovered two ways to create Firmware for the KL25Z: Programming with the functions from the Kinetis-SDK and using the M-Bed online-Compiler. Why can´t I use the SDK-Code in M-Bed and vice-versa? Are that just two different libraries? Where can I download them separately if I want to build completely manually (commandline-gcc + texteditor)?
Or is M-Bed an OS and I program the MCU not at all "bare metal" when using M-Bed?

→ Is there a good documentation giving an overview over all the different possibilites of creating software for the MCU-family?

Thanks for your hints!!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jan,

when you download SDK, there is also SDK document. Please read "getting started with MCUXpresso SDK". It will help you to understand tools/SDK/openSDA/IDE.

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jan,

when you download SDK, there is also SDK document. Please read "getting started with MCUXpresso SDK". It will help you to understand tools/SDK/openSDA/IDE.

Regards,

Jing

info13
Contributor II

That helped me a lot, thank you!

The other question very important to me: Is the M-Bed Online Compiler, compared to the KSDK/MCUXpresso-way, also bare-metal / directly-on-the-hardware programming? So M-Bed isn´t more than a big, nice Software-Library with an online C compiler?

Or is an OS utilized (MBed-OS) in general as the platform for all programs?

0 Kudos