AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alexa Fails to Respond

Question asked by Matthew Lingscheit on Oct 2, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2020 by Jean-Philippe Desqueyroux

The wake word is detected, the device listens, then it thinks. Then the light just shuts off and there is no response one way or the other. Shouldn't Alexa respond that she couldn't understand, or that she doesn't know what I am talking about, or the device should blink red three times to demonstrate a failure to connect? Is an error state missing? Is this behavior understood?

The attached video shows the LED behavior during these interactions.

The attached text file shows the debug log during two of these interactions back to back where I ask Alexa the time.

EDIT: I have found some of the recordings for the failed interactions. It seems that the audio is being dropped at the beginning and the end in various cases. I have uploaded three audio snippets:

1. light.wav: In this snippet the utterance was "Alexa, turn on matt's light", it sounds like what AVS received is "Alexa, slight", which she interpreted as "play" and played an  iHeart Radio station.

2. weather.wav: In this snippet the uttertance was "Alexa, what is the weather today?", it sounds like what AVS received is "Alexa, w-weather today", which she interpreted as "weather today" and returned the weather.

3. time.wav: In this snippet the utterance was "Alexa, what time is it?", it sounds like what AVS received is "Alexa, what", which she interpreted as "what", and had no response. 

I have tons of utterances where AVS received just the wake word and nothing else. I saw no value in attaching those.

Outcomes