Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8M Mini Configuration Resistor Strength

Jump to solution
adevries
Contributor V

Hello Community,

For boot mode configuration pins on the 8M Mini like BOOT_MODE0, BOOT_MODE1, TEST_MODE, and JTAG_MOD, does it matter if I connect a very strong pull-up or pull-down resistor to these pins? Can I connect these pins directly to NVCC_JTAG or GND?

I believe these pins are always inputs, so I think it's acceptable to tie them directly to a power rail, but I want to ask and verify this before I accidentally blow up my 8M Mini.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

For this case scenario we suggest to place a switch, just like in our EVK, if you plan to change the logic state of the BOOT_MODE.

Also, the connection you mentioned shouldn't be done, you can use one of these two options for the BOOT_MODE pins:

• Pulled up or down using the resistor I previously mentioned
  • Connected directly to NVCC_JTAG or GND

Pull-up regulate the amount of current it drives to the pin, if the power is not an issue it can be tied directly to VDD.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Aldo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
adevries
Contributor V

Thanks Aldo, that's good to know!

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Usually for pull-up resistors any value between 4.7k ~ 10k ohms, 4.7k ohm is preferred in high noise environments, for pull downs usually a 100k ohm is recommended.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Aldo.

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
adevries
Contributor V

Hi Aldo,

Thanks for the response. I know that the recommendation is for a 4.7-10k pull up and 100k pull down resistor. However, in my application, I'm looking to temporarily override some pull-up and pull-down resistors. For example, if I have BOOT_MODE1 set to 1 by pulling it high with 4.7k ohms, and I need to set BOOT_MODE1 to 0 temporarily, can I just ground the pin? 

What if BOOT_MODE0 was set to 0 by pulling it low with 100k ohms, and I need to set it to 1. Can I connect the pin to NVCC_JTAG?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

For this case scenario we suggest to place a switch, just like in our EVK, if you plan to change the logic state of the BOOT_MODE.

Also, the connection you mentioned shouldn't be done, you can use one of these two options for the BOOT_MODE pins:

• Pulled up or down using the resistor I previously mentioned
  • Connected directly to NVCC_JTAG or GND

Pull-up regulate the amount of current it drives to the pin, if the power is not an issue it can be tied directly to VDD.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Aldo.

Note: