AnsweredAssumed Answered

9S08 Banked Memory and CW10.6 and PE

Question asked by GARY OLMSTEAD on Sep 24, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 30, 2019 by GARY OLMSTEAD

( I thought I posted this a couple days ago, but it doesn't show up in My Content.  I apologize if this is a repeat.)

Hello Experts --

I am using a QE128 processor with CW10.6 and Processor Expert in the small memory model.  I have recently run into the dreaded "can't allocate memory at address 0x7ff8" or something like that.  The program is nearly done, I only need a little more program space (~4-6K). So far, I have tried:

- Creating a new, banked project.  Result: It doesn't compile the Processor Expert generated component definitions.  Another post here suggests PE can't deal with banked memory.

- Creating a project using a processor with a flash that was small enough to not need banking.  Didn't work because I need every one of the 80 pins on the QE128, and there aren't any 80 pin processors with non-banked flash.

- Forcing some of the code into the upper page.  CW knows how to put the interrupt vectors up there, why not some code as well?  Why not, indeed, but I haven't found the recipe yet.

So, on to the questions:

- Is there a way to force PE to compile its components into banked memory?

- Is there a way to force code into 0xC000-0xdfff without banked memory?  How about data tables, as I have rather a lot of those?

Best Regards

Gary Olmstead

Ventura CA

Outcomes