Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about FlexCAN module and uClinux-dist-20080808

Jump to solution
Val_rqt
Contributor II
/* Sorry for my poor English */

Hi,

I test uClinux on Freescale Coldfire MCF5329. I work with the “Zoom Coldfire SDK Development Kit”. For my first task, I design a CAN-Ethernet bridge. For this, I follow step-by-step the application note “AN3408 – Building a Sample CGI Application” from Freescale. For the moment, I search a build a correct uClinux image (with CAN driver !). A lot of points are OK (I build an uClinux image, I send and run it with dBug program, ...). But, in the uClinux kernel configuration menu, I don't find the “ColdFire FlexCAN module support” option (To have CAN4Linux drivers for the FlexCAN module on MCF5329 - page 10 of the application note). This is the only option (of the application note, pages 6=>12) that I can not find.

Anyone knows its location ?

I work with the latest uClinux-dist (20080808), but I have the same problem with all previous distribution of uClinux (20070130, 20060803, 20051110).

Thanks.

Val
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Val_rqt
Contributor II

Solution : I stop my work with standard uclinux-dist and I switch on the latest version of LTIB.

! The choice for the can driver is not the same place as in the AN3408 !

(watch this .../m53xxevb-20081215-ltib/Help/software/device_drivers/CAN_MCF53xx.htm)

David, Thanks for your advices

Val

Message Edited by _Val_ on 2009-04-11 09:44 AM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This reply was originally sent to uClinux mail list so I just copied it here for completness:

Hi Val,

Look at page 9 of the AN3408.

Near Top of page:

One of the largest submenus with further submenus is Device drivers. All available device drivers are selected here. Most of the drivers can be built as a module, part of the kernel, or not at all. For this example, select all the suggested options to be built as the part of the kernel (not as module) to simplify loading of them.

Near Bottom of page:

Look at the Character devices submenu. Enable the following options:

Virtual terminal

Inside Serial drivers, enable ColdFire serial support Legacy (BSD) PTY support Look at page 10 of the AN3408.

Top of page:

ColdFire FlexCAN module support and CAN0 To have CAN4Linux drivers for the FlexCAN module on MCF5329

Also as reference, when you had mounted the LTIB iso, the root directory has a START_HERE.htm file that is really goood reading via browser. It also have configuration directions for testing ColdFire peripherals.

It even has the test procedure used to test the FlexCAN module.

Note that when using LTIB (./ltib -c) you must select "Config the kernel" so that configuration window will open to give you access to the "Device Drivers" configuration window, then "Character devices" to gain access to the "ColdFire FlexCAN module support" at the bottom of the window.

Best Regards,

David

David E Seymour

http://www.freescale.com/coldfire

0 Kudos
Val_rqt
Contributor II

I know where is the character device menu, but, in this menu, I don't see the FlexCAN module.

Screenshot of my character devive menu (m53xxevb-20081215-ltib.iso)

(it's the same with the lastest uclinux dist)

My only solution for the moment : I work with a old uClinux dist (more information on this topic)

Best regards

Valentin

0 Kudos
Val_rqt
Contributor II

Solution : I stop my work with standard uclinux-dist and I switch on the latest version of LTIB.

! The choice for the can driver is not the same place as in the AN3408 !

(watch this .../m53xxevb-20081215-ltib/Help/software/device_drivers/CAN_MCF53xx.htm)

David, Thanks for your advices

Val

Message Edited by _Val_ on 2009-04-11 09:44 AM
0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Val,

The M53xxevb LTIB is for the MCF5301x family which doesn't have FlexCAN module.

Are you thinking of the LTIB for the MCF5329?  It does have FlexCAN.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Val_rqt
Contributor II

LTIB works alsowith the 5329 & Flexcan module. Watch this :

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCF532X&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Linux BSP for Freescale M5329EVBhttp://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MCF532X&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab#"...

(m53xxevb-20081215-ltib.iso)

This iso contains ltib and all CAN patches. About this iso, watch the start_here.htm. It is a very good explanation.
0 Kudos
DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Val,

I think I was confused on my side and looked at wrong LTIB BSP initially.

Yes the appnote and LTIB differ in how the CAN is enabled.

The START_HERE.htm in the root of the iso is excellent at explaining what is supported, how to test it, and so forth.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos