No HDMI output with stock imx8Mmini evk

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No HDMI output with stock imx8Mmini evk

eric_bentley
Contributor III

Just received an i.MX 8M Mini EVK.  Followed the instructions in the quick start guide.  I see led's light up on the MIPI-DSI to HDMI adapter but I get no output on my screen.  I connected the USB for console output and I do see the device booted successfully - just no HDMI output.

The device would reboot after about 30 seconds multiple times. I have attached the console output.  Sometime after I stopped the capture, the device stopped rebooting and now I'm getting a battery health message about every 60 seconds.

How can I get HDMI output with this standard image?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Eric Bentley,

From your kernel command line it seems you are booting up android on imx8MMini. Which image are you using to boot up the board?

Check the Android user guide for your specific android version you are using and you will find Kernel boot parameters table. Set the video parameter in kernel command line as described in the table, something like:

video=mxcfb1:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24,bpp=32

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos

eric_bentley
Contributor III

Hi Karan,

I'm currently unable to get an image to load so I'm stuck with whats currently on the device.  Can I change the kernel parameters from uboot?

-Eric

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Eric Bentley,

Sorry for late reply and that you are stuck. Please follow imx Linux User guide from below link:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.14.78_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS&location=null

From which source are you booting the device? The imx linux user guide will guide you to boot from different source, but one quick and easy way is to boot from SD card or you can also start with tftpboot taking reference from below links:

Boot I.MX6q SABRE over the Network using TFTP and NFS  

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-103717 

Let us know if for any further concern.

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos

eric_bentley
Contributor III

Thanks Karan,

I’ll check it tomorrow when I’m in the office. As for what image, it is whatever Android image was on the device when it shipped.

-Eric

0 Kudos

eric_bentley
Contributor III

Hi Karen,

I burned the fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8mmevk.sdcard to an SD card and used the table 10 on the guide to boot from the sd card.  I saw the NXP logo at or very near power on so the hdmi signal is working, although nothing else presented to the screen - I'll assume that the prebuilt image is for console only. 

Is there an equivalent Android user's guide that can guide me getting an Android image onto the device?

(I have both the prebuilt images and one that I built using your AOSP) 

Thanks,

-Eric

0 Kudos

karangajjar
Senior Contributor II

Hi Eric Bentley,

Below is the link to the Android 9 document for imx8 series:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/android_p9.0.0_2.0.0-ga_docs.zip 

Let us know in case of any query.

Regards,

Karan Gajjar

0 Kudos

eric_bentley
Contributor III
In Android QUick Start Guide, section 3.3 I see information on setting switches for rev B and rev C but no indication how to tell which board I have.
I tried the following command with both switch positions and get the same results with both (although I get flashing red LEDs when I configure for rev C)

eric@workstation:~/projects/nxp/android_p9.0.0_2.3.0_image_8mmevk$ ./uuu_imx_android_flash.sh -f imx8mm
This script is validated with uuu 1.2.135 version, please align with this version.
dtbo is supported
dual slot is supported
generate lines to flash u-boot-imx8mm.imx to the partition of bootloader0
generate lines to flash partition-table.img to the partition of gpt
generate lines to flash dtbo-imx8mm.img to the partition of dtbo_a
generate lines to flash boot.img to the partition of boot_a
generate lines to flash system.img to the partition of system_a
generate lines to flash vendor.img to the partition of vendor_a
generate lines to flash vbmeta-imx8mm.img to the partition of vbmeta_a
generate lines to flash dtbo-imx8mm.img to the partition of dtbo_b
generate lines to flash boot.img to the partition of boot_b
generate lines to flash system.img to the partition of system_b
generate lines to flash vendor.img to the partition of vendor_b
generate lines to flash vbmeta-imx8mm.img to the partition of vbmeta_b
uuu script generated, start to invoke uuu with the generated uuu script
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.2.135-0-gacaf035
Wait for Known USB Device Appear...

Still unable to update the device.  (I need to write to the onboard storage as I need the microSD slot for my device)

-Eric

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Eric,

You can download the android BSP demo image for testing as well:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=P9.0.0_2.3.0_GA_DEMO_8MM&appType=license 

Regards

0 Kudos

eric_bentley
Contributor III

The board is in the exact configuration it came from mouser.  I've not changed any switches.  There is no SD card present.

If I allow the device to boot, it will boot with boot messages for about 25 seconds and reboot continuously. 
I can stop at u-boot but when I try to enter fast boot, I get:
u-boot=> fastboot 0
g_dnl_register: failed!, error: -19
exit not allowed from main input shell.
u-boot=>

What do I need to do to get fastboot to start so I can download the suggested image?

-Eric

0 Kudos