AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX8M Mini - FreeRTOS on M-core

Question asked by Nick Guzzardo on Sep 4, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2019 by CarlosCasillas

We are preparing to do some new development with the i.MX8 Mini but our development group does not have experience with heterogenous multi-core processors.  To date, our software group has developed Linux applications on a Beaglebone while our embedded EE group has worked with FreeRTOS on the Kinetis K22.  The two connect using RS232 and CAN.  Our understanding is that both Linux and FreeRTOS can co-exist in the i.MX8 on the separate A and M cores respectively.  We are also planning / hoping that we will be able to develop in a mutually exclusive manner with the latter stage of development to integrate the two OSs onto a single board.

We have also decided to go with one of the following SoM suppliers:

http://www.technexion.com/products/system-on-modules/pico/pico-compute-modules/detail/PICO-IMX8M-MINI 

DART-MX8M-MINI : NXP i.MX8M Mini ARM SoM (System on Module)| Variscite 

From what I have seen, getting the Linux development up and running will not be an issue for our software group.  On the other hand, I am not sure where to begin for our embedded EE group under FreeRTOS.

I looked at the SDK for MCUXpresso for the various EVKs offered my NXP, and unless I've overlooked something, I'm not seeing any support for the iMX8 Mini.  Is this correct?

If there is no support for the iMX8 Mini in the MCUXpresso SDKs, does anyone have any suggestions for a dev-kit and development environment with SDK for FreeRTOS with a USB stack and peripheral drivers?

Outcomes