Serial Port not detected for LPC54018 IoT module & base board (OM40008)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Port not detected for LPC54018 IoT module & base board (OM40008)

rakesha
Contributor II

Hi,

The problem I'm facing is that serial ports for LPC54018 IoT module & base board is not detected in the device manager. I'm able to flash & debug for both the modules, I've tried with various examples from SDK for the module (2.6.0). But the serial port is not coming up.

I assumed, drivers were not installed on my PC but I'm facing the same problem on other PC as well. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I've few more queries regarding the LPC54018 base board (OM40008).

i. Since the base board has a LPC Link2 on board debugger probe, I should be able to debug & flash the module just by connecting to DAP connector (J10). Is my assumption right?

ii. Also, as per the base board schematic (rev A), if jumper JP4 is shorted DAP-LINK interface is disabled. Then I should be able to use the JP10 as a comm port. Is my assumption right?

Any help is really appreciated.

Rakesh

Labels (1)
8 Replies

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think you have this understood based on the response from TIC, but this board doesnt have LPC-Link2 (rather it has a DAP-Link interface with a VCOM port, running on an LPC11U35.) Your assertion (ii) that installing JP4 to disable the LPC11U35 will also disable the VCOM port is correct, but this is just a connection to the LPC11U35 so it wont help you to program the LPC54018.

Several of these boards were programmed with the mbed DAP-Link firmware (an earlier alternative to the LPC11U35 firmware that Jeremy sent you above). We recommend you update the firmware to the version Jeremy sent you. You need to put the LPC11U35 into DFU (debug firmware update) mode to do that:

• unplug the board
  • install a jumper on JP3, then power the board by connecting to J10
  • you will see a drive called "CRP_DISABLD" appear on your PC
  • Go to the CRP_DISABLD drive an delete the file called "firmware.bin" there. Drag and drop the firmware.bin file from the zip file Jeremy sent you onto the CRP_DISABLD drive and allow a few seconds for the copy to complete.
  • Unplug the board, remove JP3 and repower.
  • You should now see a VCOM port called LPC11Uxx VCOM 

Note that if you are trying to use the serial port connection on the LPC54018 module itself (when running SDK examples that use it) you need to install a different VCOM driver for that. The attached video shows how to do that.

The user manual for the OM40008 board is here, although it doesnt cover the firmware update steps above:

Mini IoT Baseboard | NXP 

rakesha
Contributor II

Hello Brendon,

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.

Now I am able to see VCOM port for OM40008 (base board).

But when I use the LPC54018 IoT module (OM40007), I do not see any VCOM port in Ports or Other devices of Device manager (no warning).

Anyway, I tried updating the driver as per the video and I don't see any VCOM port. It says drivers are up to date.

Is it even possible to get the VCOM port on OM40007? 

P.S: I'm working on Windows 10.

Thanks for your support.

Rakesh

0 Kudos

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rakesh,

the VCOM port for the LPC54018 wont appear until/unless you are running code that implements that UART on that processor. The AWS examples do this ... but there are also examples in the USB part of the SDK that will do this too.

Regards,

Brendon

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rakesh Awanti ,

Thanks for your reply.

1) Is it even possible to get the VCOM port on OM40007?
-- No, I'm afraid it's impossible.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rakesh Awanti ,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and
for the opportunity to serve you.
    i. Since the baseboard has an LPC Link2 onboard debugger probe, I should be able to debug & flash the module just by connecting to DAP connector (J10). Is my assumption right?
-- Yes.
    ii. Also, as per the baseboard schematic (rev A), if jumper JP4 is shorted DAP-LINK interface is disabled. Then I should be able to use the JP10 as a comm port. Is my assumption right?
-- No, I'm afraid not.
About the Serial Terminal port issue, whether you can find an additional VCOM port shown in Windows Device Manager after connecting the J10 to PC, it not, I think you need to reinstall the driver for the DAP-LINK Debug interface.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

rakesha
Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your response.

I'm unable to find VCOM port for both LPC54018 IoT module as well as base board (OM40008). I've tried updating the drivers but I'm still facing the issue.

Could you please share a link for the DAP-Link debug interface driver for Windows 10.

Rakesh

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rakesh Awanti ,

Thanks for your reply.
Please check the attachment.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

rakesha
Contributor II

Hi Jeremy,

I've already installed this software, but the issue persists.

Is there any other way? 

Rakesh

0 Kudos