cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debug i.mx233 sd card boot issue with sjtag - boot error 0x80502008

ovdl
Contributor I

Hi,

I've build myself a custom i.mx233 board. I've build the board in phases to verify each part is working.

First I've soldered the power supply part and verified it's working. Then I've added the CPU, SD card connector and RAM. Now the problem starts: I'm unable to boot from SD. I got all the jumpers set correctly, as far as I know.

I've connected serial to the board and when I boot it without SD card, I get the expected output:

0x80502008
          H0x80501003
0x80502008
          H0x80501003

But when I've inserted the SD card, I still get the same messages, meaning it doesn't boot from the SD Card.

Now I've bought a JTAG adapter with a SJTAG. Debug setup is working but I can't seem to figure out if and how I can debug the SD card access through (S)JTAG.

I've checked multple forum and internet searches, but all I've found are discussing the fact that SD card pins are muxed with JTAG pins ;o)

Hopefully someone here can help/point me in the right direction to figure out the root cause of the board not willing to boot from SD.

The CPU seems to work at least, because I was able to blow the SD_MBR_BOOT eFuse from Windows, as it was detected correctly.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help/hints.

Onno.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

ovdl
Contributor I

To be complete on this post, I finally had some time and figured out the problem.

Unfortunately not the answer to the subject (using SJTAG), but it still might help others.

For resistor boot mode selection, LCD_D0 and LCD_D3 need to be high. After verifying everything again and comparing all different outputs from the boot mode selection, I discovered that the D0 pin on the CPU side wasn't completely soldered, since with D0+D3 connected (also verified D0 connection with multimeter), console gave same output as with only D3 connected.  Hence the output:

0x80502008
          H0x80501003 <<<- ERROR_ROM_LDR_SIGNATURE

When I re-soldered pin D0 and booted without SD card inserted, it gave me the correct output:

0x80502008                                                                            
          0x8020a014 <<<- "ERROR_DDI_SD_MMC_DEVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED"

So MBR boot is working now! Thanks igorpadykov for all hints and info.

Only need to figure out / solve the next (power) issue as it keeps rebooting after power-up and eventually hangs.

But I'll create a new post for it if I can't figure it out. ;o) At least it's proving that the SD card is functional. :smileygrin:

"

HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC
PowerPrep start initialize power...
Battery Voltage = 0.00V
No battery or bad battery                                       detected!!!.Disabling battery                                   voltage measuHTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLC
Battery Voltage = 0.00V
No battery or bad battery                                       detected!!!.Disabling battery                                   voltage measuHTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLC
Battery Voltage = 0.00V
No battery or bad battery                                       detected!!!.Disabling battery                                   voltage measurements./r/n
FIQ

r14_HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

"

0 Kudos

ovdl
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I'll look into the eFuses again, maybe I missed something because I thought I had those specifically correct. Thanks for the attachment, that's one I hadn't found before!

Meanwhile I still like to know if it's possible to check the SD Card with SJTAG, for ex. is it possible to verify with SJTAG that the SD card at least is being recognized / "seen" / inserted?

KR,

Onno.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Onno

I am afraid it is not possible to boot with attached jtag and use it

to execute ROM commands, as ROM may execute commands

with particular timings.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Onno

some fuses should be blown for sd boot as described in sect.3.2 Board

Configuration attached Linux Guide, also may be useful to check i.MX23 EVK schematic

and tools:

i.MX23 Evaluation Kit | NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos