cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX sdma-imx7d.bin licensing issue

c_freiberger
Contributor II

Hi there,

is it possible to load the sdma-imx7d.bin firmware binary from userspace /lib/firmware...

I don"t want to put it in the Kernel in perspective of not violating gplv2 terms with including it in the Kernel.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards,

Jim

4 Replies

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Christoph,

If you want to use sdma-imx7d.bin firmware in another kernel version that is not supported by NXP you can use it.

Regards

0 Kudos

c_freiberger
Contributor II

Yeah, but since compiling properitary licenced modules into your kernel binary violates the GPLv2 licence of the kernel itself.

Therefor I am asking if there is a way to invoke the SDMA firmware from userspace since i didn't get it running.

Kind Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos

Niebel-TQ
Contributor IV

Hello Christoph,

it's possible and it works for us - the firmware is also in the linux-firmware repo. To load the firmware from userspace, you need to compile the SDMA driver as a module. Then the driver will load the firmware when it binds to the SDMA. Depending on your usecase, audio drivers that use SDMA are also a candidate to be compiled as module.

c_freiberger
Contributor II

Hi Markus,

thank you for your response. I also tried to compile the spi-imx as module but it didn't work as expected since its still loading the rom firmware and not the binary which is located in the rootfs (/lib/firmware/imx/sdma).

Are there any more modifications I have to do getting the devices on the SPI working?

BR,

Christoph

0 Kudos