Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Problems about flash programming

jaffe
Contributor I

Dear all,

My board is based on MPC8540 processor

My Codewarrior is V8.8 for Powerpc and USB-TAP

It’s a bareboard that designed by myself, not a standard evaluation board. The flash chip is Intel’s JS28F128J3D-75. I used the Initialization File of  MSC8144ADS_init.cfg successfully connected the board and erased the flash, but the weird things are that ( sometimes) I could program the flash correctly as well as validation, and the UBOOT started well after flash programming, everything was OK right then. But next day when I again booted the board I had the UBOOT unhealthy. At the very beginning, It had only several start information lines displayed in the Terminal Emulator Window and hang up, as I restarted the board the less information displayed, and I got nothing on the terminal emulator after several times restarting the board. The UBOOT just disappeared. Then I re programmed the flash, and the error appeared when blank checking or validating. Some sectors failed to erase or program.

It’s strange, please give me some advise.

Since my board is not an evaluation board, must I config a new Initialization File instead of MSC8144ADS_init.cfg that totally matching my board ? What else should I do besides Initialization File for a new designed board ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It appears that the target board is occasionally not running correctly which would cause the CodeWarrior Flash Programmer to behave erratically as well.  Intermittent failures like this, especially on a new target design, could be due to overheating of the board.  Does cooling the board, either with a fan or freeze spray, improve behavior?  If so, that would be the solution.

Another approach would be to slow down the Interface Clock Frequency of your USB TAP.  In the CodeWarrior IDE select Edit->Preferences->Remote Connections, double-click on the USB TAP entry that you're using in the Flash Programmer, click on the pull-down menu next to the 'Interface Clock Frequency' option and select a lower value.  Start with 1Mhz and go from there.

I would also double-check the target RAM configuration in the Flash Programmer's Target Initialization (.cfg) file, perhaps selecting the slowest, most reliable RAM settings available.

0 Kudos