cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad frame counter problem

thanhpn_kstnk51
Contributor II

Dear all,

I've just taken a real packet transmission test between a device and Coordinator. There are some strange things happened that I must ask for help. Firstly, let me describe my test scenario:

- Network: 1 Coordinator (source code built from JN-AN-1216 project) and 1 Router (source code built from JN-AN-1217 project)

- Router sends Basic report to Coordinator when button is pushed. APS ACK is ON for the packets.

Sometimes, when Router sends packet, error "APP-ZDO: Network status Indication 11" occurs on Router or on Coordinartor or on both. This error relates to Bad Frame Counter detection at network layer. I sniff the packet on air and see many packet transmission retries for both Basic Report packet and APS ACK packet. The retry interval is too short (< 10ms). Moreover, the destination does not have time to response MAC ACK while source node retries sending a packet many times. Please find attached for detail. Do you have any suggestion for this problem ?

Many thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Thanh,

I have been checking the sniffer log. 

I am seeing the APS is sending the same counter a few times. How did you implement the find and bind?

What is the reporting time that you set?

Please look at the APS Inter-frame Delay.

pastedImage_1.png

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

thanhpn_kstnk51
Contributor II

Hi Mario,

I set APS interframe delay as default (10ms). I do not implement Find and Bind in this test. As I described,  Coordinator and Router with original apps are deployed at a certain distance (LQI ~ 60), router reports to Coordinator on button pushing on dev board. Because the APS frames are sent with same Frame counter, I think MAC layer tries to resend the same frame due to lack of feedback ACK from destination node. But the abnormal behavior is MAC retries quite fast that not let destination node have time to feedback ACK.

Thanks and BRs,

Thanh Pham

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Thanh,

But the abnormal behavior is MAC retries quite fast that not let destination node have time to feedback ACK.

The coordinator waits some time depending on the value of the macAckWaitDuration, that is the reason why the device sends the same frame counter in the next APS commands because it is not receiving some ack in that specific time.

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos