Did you mean: 

ISC dhcpd is ignoring BOOTP requests in Sumo BSP

jpuckett
Contributor III

Our setup:

• Our i.MX6 based board running Linux built using the sumo BSP
    • Linux kernel 4.14.78
    • This is building dhcpd 4.3.6
  • We're booting via NFS from a VM.  u-boot passes the kernel a static IP of 10.43.30.3
  • All devices are on a separate Ethernet switch:
    • Laptop (running the VM)
    • i.MX6s board
    • Ethernet camera

Details:

Our customer has provided us with Ethernet cameras that expect to have their IP addresses assigned via DHCP.  I had this working with a previous version of the BSP but we had to switch to sumo for various reasons.  Using the same dhcpd.conf file that worked previously, dhcpd now ignores all BOOTP requests.  Running tcpdump shows that the messages are making it to our board.

For kicks I tried running udhcpd with the default configuration and it immediately assigned the camera an IP address.  This leads me to believe that there is some new dhcpd setting that I'm missing somewhere.  We can't use udhcpd because our customer requires that we only assign IPs to certain MAC addresses and I don't see that udhcpd has that ability.

I have also plugged in a Windows laptop with DHCP enabled to see if there's something wrong with the way the cameras are sending their requests.  Again I could see the messages making it to the board using tcpdump but dhcpd ignored them.

I have attached the dhcpd.conf, network/interfaces and default/dhcp-server config files we have been using.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I apologize for the delay and misunderstanding.

Are you trying to boot the board over DHCP(NFS and TFTP boot) and stream a video?

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

jpuckett
Contributor III

At the moment all I'm trying to do is to get our board to assign IP addresses to Ethernet cameras using DHCP.

Our board is assigned the static IP 10.43.30.3 by uboot and boots using TFTP and NFS.

Once everything is booted I can see the cameras' DHCP requests by running tcpdump on our board.

However dhcpd never responds.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Are you adding the DHCP client and server recipe to your end Yocto build?

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

jpuckett
Contributor III

We aren't using the client, since our board is running a DHCP server and has a static IP assigned.

I have added dhcp-server to CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL in local.conf.

dhcpd is present on the target and I can run it via a serial terminal.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, let me understand your problem before trying to reproduce it on my board.

Are you trying to set the i.MX as a DHCP server and then assign an IP address to the camera, am I right? 

And with the network connection that you configured, use the same i.MX to stream the video of the camera?

Is my understanding correct?

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

jpuckett
Contributor III

Yes, that's correct.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello.

Could you please pass me the steps to reproduce this?

Furthermore, have you tried to restart the dhcp-server service?

I found the below community thread that probably could help you.

https://community.nxp.com/message/562082 

Best regards

Diego.

0 Kudos