cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSM usage on MPC5748G only under NDA?

gxv724
Contributor I

Hello people,

I bought a development board for MPC5748G to use the HSM capabilities only to realize that I cannot use it since apparently it doesn't have the SHE firmware flashed in the device.  I contacted NXP and they told me that I need to specifically ask my local sales distributor in order to get an MPC5748G with the HSM with firmware flashed.

Let's say that I have a module with HSM equipped with the SHE firmware. On the forums I read that I need to enable it anyway in order to get access to it. The datasheet shows the bit that it needs to be switched but the SSCM module address seems invalid (FFFF). Is the only way to know the address of the SSCM though the Security reference manual which is under NDA?

So is an absolute necessity to sign an NDA if you want to just run some encryption/decryption on the HSM?

Regards,

George

0 Kudos
2 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You can imagine that security is sensitive theme and it is carefully controlled by NXP.

Is the only way to know the address of the SSCM though the Security reference manual which is under NDA?

Using HSM without security documentation (not only security reference manual) is impossible. NDA is required but not sufficient for obtaining security documents. Every customer is validated by security experts, and if he is considered trusted, then we generate watermarked documentation for his company.

So is an absolute necessity to sign an NDA if you want to just run some encryption/decryption on the HSM?

Yes, that is. Besides without NXP FW you will have hard time to write your own (we do not support this option).

regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

gxv724
Contributor I

Thanks for the fast reply Peter, I think that the clarification that everyone who needs to use the HSM even as a black box needs an NDA is valuable.

Regards,

Gerge

0 Kudos