cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browntail Moth treatment

conor
Contributor I

Hey, 

I don't know if I'm way over my head here.  I'm not a programer and I don't totally understand the technical lingo.  However, I have an idea to treat the ever increasing Browntail moth populations in the Northeaster United States and anywhere these little devils exist.  I want to modify an agricultural drone to spray a certain strain of Bacillus and fungus onto the nests and caterpillars to dramatically decrease populations.  I would like to use IR imaging to allow the drone to learn how to identify nests and leaf damage to trees to become an automated seek and treat system that anyone could buy into.  There is a lot of money to be made and a lot of relief that can be brought to the communities that are being affected by these moths. 

If you don't know about this problem, please look up Browntail Moth rash. 

Is there technology out there that would be able to achieve this goal? 

2 Replies

iaingalloway
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Conor, Thanks for your message. The HoverGames drone would be a great place for a developer to start working on this technology. HoverGames 2 also introduced a companion computer and that could be used to identify the moth nest both with vision and IR if needed. The additional benefit of a drone is that application of a spray can be limited to the minimum required, and be very targeted.
NXP doesn't develop end use applications, only the development tools for others to make end products. This could be a great application for upcoming HoverGames #3 which may have an agricultural focus.

0 Kudos

Luis_Garabo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I believe that you will find interesting the https://www.hovergames.com/ that NXP has launched just recently this year. This might not be useful for modifying your current drone, however, you should be able to find other solutions or approach to achieve your goal. The drone can be acquired from this page in case you are interested in testing it: https://www.nxp.com/applications/solutions/industrial/unmanned-aerial-vehicles-uavs/uavs-drones-and-...

I hope this helps you.
Have a great day,
Garabo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------