AnsweredAssumed Answered

kernel memory corruption in galcore under high load

Question asked by Théo Bueno on Jul 19, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2019 by Théo Bueno

Hi everyone,

I am encoutering an issue with what I suspect is a galcore crash. For testing purposes, I put an i.MX6 QuadPlus under high load (CPU, VPU and GPU).  After a few seconds or minutes of this workload (it's random-ish), I have a kernel Oops or panic that leads to the complete freeze of the system.

I can reproduce this problem consistently with two kernel/graphics drivers versions:

- Community's linux-fslc 4.9 with Vivante 6.2.4

- NXP's latest linux-imx 4.19 with Vivante 6.4.0

I build the OS images myself using Yocto Thud (meta-freescale).

On Linux 4.9, kernel only reports what look to be memory corruptions (invalid addresses), whereas Linux 4.19 is more explict as to the root cause of the crash, by explicitely mentionning galcore in the stack dump.

Furthermore, problem only occurs when GPU load is close to 100% (as measured by "on" cycles). Whatever the CPU/VPU load are, system will not crash until I start an intensive OpenGL app such as glmark2 which pushes the GPU to its limits.

I have attached in text files a few of those crashes for each of the two kernel versions.

Is this a known issue with galcore ? Are there any workarounds to prevent this from happening ?

Thanks and best regards,

Théo Bueno.

Outcomes