cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1064 Flashloader to load application image

alin_butoi
Contributor II

Hello,

I am working with the RT1064 Evaluation board and I am attempting to set it up to run an application via the MCUBOOT Flashloader (v2.7.0). First, I am generating the flashloader binary image using the elstosb tool, and I am uploading the image using the MfgTool provided with the Flashloader package. I am able to establish communication between the board and host computer, and to verify the current version of the boot process using the blhost tool. 

The next steps in the process involve uploading one or more demo application images (blinky, Hello_world) to be executed out of flash or RAM via the flashloader. 

I have read through the i.MX RT1064 Manufacturing User's Guide (Doc number IMXRT1064MFUUG) but I am unsure how to go about programming an unsigned app image onto the board. 

Some specific questions that I have are:

1. Using the bootable image layout (Fig 1) from the Manufacturing user's guide, if the boot rom finds the destination address = to the external flash address (XIP), how is the destination address configured? Same question for NXIP.

2. Once the flashloader is loaded into flash, how do I go about generating an app image which can be loaded into flash via the flashloader and once loaded, how does the flashloader determine it should run the app image.

3. I have tried using MfgTool to talk to the flashloader in order to load the app image but communication has been unsuccessful. My question is, what tool should I be using (blhost, MfgTool etc) to load the app image?

Thank you in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alin Butoi,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and
the opportunity to serve you.
To provide the fastest possible support, I'd highly recommend you to refer to the application note: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/nxp/application-notes/AN12238.pdf.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

alin_butoi
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for the response! I have read the application note that you recommended (AN12238) and noticed that the process presented uses the Mfgtool to upload the bootable image (Hello_world in the document). Step 4.5 describes the process of programming the external flash device with the app image by switching the evaluation board to serial downloader mode to load the bootable image. This is confusing because based on the i.MX RT1064 Flashloader release notes, I was under the impression that the flashloader would be responsible for downloading the user application and writing it into flash. I don't understand why serial downloader mode must be entered to load the application image once the flashloader image has been loaded onto the device. Can you provide some clarification please?

The process that I am interested in involves programming the flashloader so that it can be used to download applications in an environment where tools like Mfgtool aren't available.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alin Butoi,

Thanks for your reply.
1)  I don't understand why serial downloader mode must be entered to load the application image once the flash loader image has been loaded onto the device. Can you provide some clarification, please?
-- The ROM Boot is incapable of programming the image to the external flash.
2) The process that I am interested in involves programming the flash loader so that it can be used to download applications in an environment where tools like Mfgtool aren't available.
-- In the AN12238, it demonstrates the steps of downloading Flashloader image via the SDPHost. And if you don't like the Mfgtool, you can use the Blhost tool to program the bootable image (SB file) to the external flash, the Blhost can support the UART and USB port, for the Mfgtool, the only USB port is available.
I've attached the Kinetis blhost User's Guide which can guide you how to program the bootable image to the external flash, please refer to it for details.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!