Prasanna Kulkarni

Enabling Mobile_network & RIL related Settings support for iMX6 based on Android 8.0 or 7.0 etc

Discussion created by Prasanna Kulkarni on Jul 17, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 17, 2019 by jamesbone

Hi All,

I was trying to integrate 4G Modem on iMX6dl running Android Oreo 8.0. but surprisingly the default BSP from nxp comes with WiFi-Only Device settings, which will not show any UI related settings for Mobile_Networks in status-bar also as well as Settings application also. When I added RIL source code,  device was not even trying to Send AT commands. I have debugged for some time and found the solution for the same. Many people have queried about this on nxp community So i thought of sharing my work as below.

To enable Mobile_Network settings in Android UI two files have to changed namely

1. device/fsl/imx6/imx6.mk --> used to mention device has RIL support

2. device/fsl/sabresd_6dq/overlay/frameworks//base/core/res/res/values/config.xml --> used to Override the default config settings present is android frameworks. Android Frameworks, frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml file is superset of all settings which has support for everything. So when I commented overridden settings from overlay config.xml Mobile_networks settings re-appeared in Android UI and Device started to send AT commands to modem subsequently device got registered to Network also. I Have attached the patch and S.shots here.  

Outcomes