MPX5999D leakage issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPX5999D leakage issue

sergey_stain
Contributor I

We have an air leakage issue about MPX5999D.  We usually founds a little amount of silicon gel leaked out from some point of the bad parts epoxy case . The gel leakage presumably go first and takes a lot of time. It`s hardly be detected with common tests.

The questions is:

1. Can we rely on the guarantee of tightness and solidity of the body of the new (unused) sensors?
2. What could be the causes of this phenomenon and how to avoid it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

1. Can we rely on the guarantee of tightness and solidity of the body of the new (unused) sensors?
[A1] MPX5999D is differential pressure sensor capable of measure pressure up to 1000kPa. This sensor is positive unidirectional, which means that you can only apply positive pressure and only on port P1. This sensor is designed for applications where P1 is always greater than, or equal to P2.

Make sure you are not using the device outside the operating characteristics.

2. What could be the causes of this phenomenon and how to avoid it?

[A2] Typically, we only see silicon gel leaked when pressure on Port P2 is greater than Port P1, or when pressure applied is more than the sensor can handle.

Regards,

Jose

sergey_stain
Contributor I

Thank you, Jose. Your answer is helpful. Actually in our design, Port P2 pressure can be greater than Port P1 when O-ring seal leakage rate is high enough. We`ll try to use glue and improve the connection between the port P2 chamber and the atmosphere .
Does NXP perform a 100% leakage test on unported devices? And what is the maximum allowable leakage rate for MPX5999D?

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sergey,

Does NXP perform a 100% leakage test on unported devices?

Yes, we perform leakage test for all our pressure sensor before sending them out of the factory.

And what is the maximum allowable leakage rate for MPX5999D?

MPX5999D should not have pressure leakage.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos

sergey_stain
Contributor I

I mean the minimum leakage rate you test equipment allow to detect. How it was described in this thread: https://community.nxp.com/thread/444621

0 Kudos

reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sergey,

Leakage is an unspecified and therefore not guaranteed performance characteristic of our devices. Unfortunately, the leakage rate for the MPX5999D is not characterized.

Sorry about that.

Regards,

Jose

NXP Semiconductors

0 Kudos