Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC55S6X MCU External Memory Interface

Jump to solution
tilakmarupilla
Contributor II

Hi all,

I want to use LPC55S6X MCU (selected due to its security platforms) for interfacing Nand Flash IC (say Micron 128 GB IC).

(Since eMMC 4.4 on LPC MCU only supports upto 32-64 GB interfacing.). When compared to other Micro controllers, this doesn't have any ONFI complaint Nand flash controller nor any Static memory controller to inteface via EBI (External bus interface)

What are the other options for interfacing Nand flash IC to this MCU ? (Please suggest any Application notes/reference design for the same).

karinavalenciamagicoeniunxf45771williamjiangjeremyzhouTomasVodanxf33441macljustinbmortimer

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Tilak,

The LPC55S6x mcu has neither External Memory Controller no NAND flash controller, I suppose it can not interface with NAND flash.

BR

XiangJun Rong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tilakmarupilla
Contributor II

Hi xiangjun.rong

Thanks for the confirmation about the external memory interface. Kindly clarify the below points:

* In the data sheet of this LPC55S6x device MMC 4.4 or eMMC 4.4 is available. So I will be able to interface any eMMC 5.1 Nand flash right (considering the backward compatibility of eMMC5.1 & upon willing to sacrifice High speed modes of eMMC 5.1)  ?

* And in the software library of LPC55S6x, are there any ECC &software Nand libraries (to bit bang GPIO as Nand interface in case of a non eMMC/Managed Nand  approach) ?

Regards,

Tilak Marupilla.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Tilak,

Anyway, I do not think you can use SD/MMC module to access Nand flash, as you know that the NAND flash has I/O signals, ALE, WE, RE, CLE, CE... signals, which the MMC module can not provide.

But I think it is okay if you use GPIO to simulate the NAND flash, but I do not think there is any library to support the simulation.

The LPC1788 supports NAND flash via EMC module, pls refer to the link:

https://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpc1788-oem/

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun rong

0 Kudos
tilakmarupilla
Contributor II

Dear xiangjun.rong

Thanks a lot for your reply.

If a parallel Nand flash is taken..then as you said, ALE,CE..signals should be taken care via GPIO.

But I was only referring to eMMC nand Flash. In which pins are 7 Data pins,1 CLK & CMD pin right?

Hence, I'm mainly trying to get a confirmation that LPC55S6x's MMC 4.4  works with a eMMC 5.1 type Nand flash. (considering the backward compatibility of eMMC5.1)

Regards,

Tilak.

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Tilak,

Can you share the information of the eMMC 5.1 type Nand flash so that my colleague and I can review whether it is possible for the SDMMC to interface with the NAND flash?

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos
xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Tilak,

The LPC55S6x mcu has neither External Memory Controller no NAND flash controller, I suppose it can not interface with NAND flash.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos