AnsweredAssumed Answered

MCUX 11.0.0 - Variables view has blank contents

Question asked by David Rodgers on Jun 19, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 by David Rodgers

(EDIT -- This thread was previously titled "MCUX 11.0.0 - 'this' not visible in Variables view", but it was eventually pointed out (derp) that static methods have no "this" pointer available.  However, in the course of investigating this issue, I discovered that the Variables view would often appear with blank contents.  The original thread appears below; the comments with screenshots show the issue with blank Variables view data.)

TL;DR - "this" no longer appears in the Variables view when debugging a C++ class.

So, I've pulled down MCUX v11.0.0 and installed it... I've also grabbed SDK v2.6.0 for the RT1050.  I created a brand new workspace, set my templates and code style, set my hotkeys, installed the SDK, created a new C++ application, picked all the middleware, merged in all my previous application code, merged in my preprocessor defines and include directories, and after a bit of fiddling, got my "new" application to build.  It even downloaded and ran the first time, which I'm thankful for.

However, my code got hung up during initialization, hmm.  So I drill in with the debugger:

MCUX debug view showing no "this" symbol in Variables

Now, upon reflection, I understand why this function failed... I haven't yet gone in and re-arranged the heap, stack, and data segments, so they're still pointing to internal SRAM, and I'm pretty sure the heap just ran out of memory, thus yielding a null pointer.

But what concerns me is the Variables view.  I'm in the NxpLpi2c::CreateInstance() method, which means I'm inside the NxpLpi2c class.  When I've debugged with MCUX in the past, there's always been a "this" symbol automatically added to the Variables view when debugging C++ methods.  So... where did it go?  It is invaluable to have access to the current object in the Variables view.  Please tell me this is an easily remedied oversight.  Thanks.

Outcomes