RMII_SOLOX_EXTERNAL_CLOCK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMII_SOLOX_EXTERNAL_CLOCK

afaiti
Contributor I

I'm testing my board based on the processor i.MX 6SoloX. The 10/100/1000-Mbps Ethernet MAC CPU unit of the processor is used in the  RMII mode. Unfortunately, the Ethernet interface of my board doesn't work. The ENET1-REF_CLK1 signal uses an external 50 MHz reference clock that goes from the GPIO1-IO05 pin, rather than the ENET1-TX-CLK pin. The external reference clock has been checked by the oscillograph, the MII interface has been checked also. However, there is no connection with a host, the command ping gives out the following message:

=>Ping 10.0.01

Using FEC device

Ping failed; host 10.0.0.1 is not alive

Please tell me, is it possible to use an external reference clock connected to the pin GPIO1_IO05 for working FEC in RMII mode, rather than ENET1_TX_CLK? If so, how I must set up the registers CCM_ANALOG_EENETn and IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1 for the RMII mode? Is it possible for the FEC to work in RMII mode with an external 50 MHz reference clock connected to the GPIO1_IO05 pin only? Should I use the ENET1_TX_CLK pin only for forking FEC in RMII mode with   the external reference clock? Is using of GPIO1_IO05 pin to form the REF_CLK signal the same as using of ENET1_TX_CLK pin? 

Is it enough to have only the external reference clock signal ENET1_REF_CLK1 of 50 MHz, connected to pin GPIO1_IO05 for working Ethernet MAC in RMII mode?  Do I need to configure the registers PLL_ENETn and ENET1_TX_CLK, if the frequency of the external clock signal is 50 MHz?

I am using the following setting in my_board.c file

static iomux_v3_cfg_t const fec1_pads[] = {

MX6_PAD_ENET1_MDC__ENET1_MDC | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_ENET1_MDIO__ENET1_MDIO | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_GPIO1_IO05__ENET1_REF_CLK1 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_TX_CTL__ENET1_TX_EN | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_TD0__ENET1_TX_DATA_0 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_TD1__ENET1_TX_DATA_1 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_RX_CTL__ENET1_RX_EN | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_RXC__ENET1_RX_ER | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_RD0__ENET1_RX_DATA_0 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL),

MX6_PAD_RGMII1_RD1__ENET1_RX_DATA_1 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL),        

};

static int setup_fec(void)

{

struct iomuxc *iomuxc_regs = (struct iomuxc *)IOMUXC_BASE_ADDR;

struct anatop_regs *anatop = (struct anatop_regs *)ANATOP_BASE_ADDR;

int reg, ret;

unsigned char ethaddr[6] = { 0x00, 0x11, 0x22, 0x33, 0x44, 0x55 }; 

eth_env_set_enetaddr("ethaddr", ethaddr);             

/* Use 50MHz external clock */

clrsetbits_le32(&iomuxc_regs->gpr[1], IOMUX_GPR1_FEC1_CLOCK_MUX1_SEL_MASK, IOMUX_GPR1_FEC1_CLOCK_MUX2_SEL_MASK);

ret = enable_fec_anatop_clock(0, ENET_50MHZ);

if (ret)

return ret;

imx_iomux_v3_setup_multiple_pads(phy_control_pads,

ARRAY_SIZE(phy_control_pads));

/* Reset KSZ8463, active low */

gpio_request(IMX_GPIO_NR(1, 13), "KSZ8463_rst");

gpio_direction_output(IMX_GPIO_NR(1, 13) , 0);

mdelay(10);

gpio_set_value(IMX_GPIO_NR(1, 13), 1);

/* Reset KSZ8081RNAIA PHY */

gpio_request(IMX_GPIO_NR(5, 2), "KSZ8081_rst");

gpio_direction_output(IMX_GPIO_NR(5, 2) , 0);

mdelay(10);

gpio_set_value(IMX_GPIO_NR(5, 2), 1);

reg = readl(&anatop->pll_enet);

reg |= BM_ANADIG_PLL_ENET_REF_25M_ENABLE;

writel(reg, &anatop->pll_enet);

return 0;

}

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Victor

additionally one can check settings in IOMUXC_ENET1_IPG_CLK_RMII_SELECT_INPUT

register described in sect.35.5.466 Select Input Register (IOMUXC_ENET1_IPG_CLK_RMII_SELECT_INPUT)
i.MX6SX Reference Manual.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

afaiti
Contributor I

Hi Igor

Thanks for answer. To my mind the macros MX6_PAD_GPIO1_IO05__ENET1_REF_CLK1 | MUX_PAD_CTRL(ENET_RX_PAD_CTRL)  used in my function static iomux_v3_cfg_t const fec1_pads[] ={…};

must set the bit “DAISY” of the OMUXC_ENET1_IPG_CLK_RMII_SELECT_INPUT register in 0 to select "Selecting ALT4 mode of pad GPIO1_IO05 for ENET1_REF_CLK1". Is it correct? May be I need to set the bit “DAISY” additionally?

My main question is: Can be the pin GPIO1_IO05 used to form the REF_CLK1 signal same as the ENET1_TX_CLK pin? If so, how I must configure registers IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1 and PLL_ENETn to use the pin GPIO1_IO05 as REF_CLK1 signal for FEC in RMII mode? May be only the pin GPIO1_IO05 must be used as REF_CLK1?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Victor

>Can be the pin GPIO1_IO05 used to form the REF_CLK1 signal same as the ENET1_TX_CLK pin?

yes. IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1 is not used for that case.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

afaiti
Contributor I

Hi Igor.

Thanks for answer.

I understand from your answer that the pin GPIO1_IO05 can be used in the same way as the pin ENET1_TX_CLK, and the register IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1  does not require additional configuration and can be left in the reset state.

Do I need to configure and how to configure register PLL_ENETn for my case?

I am somewhat confused by the fact that the description of the bit 13 (ENET1_CLK_ SEL) of the register  IOMUXC_GPR_GPR1 in paragraph 35.4.2 (i.MX 6SoloX Applications Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 2, 9/2017) contains only mention  of ENET1_TX_CLK pin, and there is no mention of the pin GPIO1_IO05.

Victor Afanasiev.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Victor

I think you can compare enet registers with ENET1-TX-CLK configuration,

probably using i.MX6SX Sabre SD board. Just for test one can output enet_axi_clk_root

using CCM_CCOSR register.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

afaiti
Contributor I

Hi Igor.

Thanks for answer.

Victor Afanasiev.

0 Kudos