RGMii Signal Spacing 1000b 125Mhz

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGMii Signal Spacing 1000b 125Mhz

davidsabalesky
Contributor I

It is accepted that cross talk is generally reduced when S >3W or S>5W for aggressive lines as a rule of thumb.

Are general constraints in regard to  RX/TX Data[3..0] trace spacing applicable to RGMii when at 125MHz?

Due to the reduction in the magnitude of induced reflections on the near-end and far-end with each round trip cycle, at light speed,  in conjunction with the clock edge being skewed 1.5ns-2.0ns, is the effective cross-talk at the clocked edges greatly reduced? -- given that multiple cycles will occur relative to track lengths.

If this is true then the spacing between the Group Data lines, Rx or Tx, can be reduced. This is especially useful for high dense designs allowing for tighter group spacing and eases constraints during critical signal routing. Given the track lengths and known skew, I believe it is possible to determine that their is an actual minimum S to maintain SI, signal integrity. Spacing between different groups still needs to be maintained for SI, signal integrity.

Are there any SI tools that does this calculation?

All feedback is welcome.

If there are any SI experts that can respond to this it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David

>Are general constraints in regard to  RX/TX Data[3..0] trace spacing applicable to RGMii when at 125MHz?

I think yes, also may be useful to look at AN2536  High Speed Layout Design Guidelines sect.2.2.1 Crosstalk

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN2536.pdf 

For signal integrity tools one can look for example on

Sigrity SystemSI 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos