AnsweredAssumed Answered

Reduce Turnaround Time For Device Tree Changes

Question asked by David Ochs on Jun 12, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 10, 2019 by Wigros Sun

I'm doing some development on an i.MX8M Mini EVK, and I am looking for some advice on how to change and load the device tree efficiently. I am using Yocto to build the fsl-image-validation-imx image, and flashing emmc by passing a zip file to uuu, as described in the NXP documentation.

Presently when I want to change the device tree, I change the fsl-imx8mm-evk.dts file, run bitbake -f -c compile linux-imx, and the dtb files called out in the machine conf file are regenerated in about a minute. Then I run bitbake fsl-image-validation-imx, when does its thing in about 30 minutes or so. Then I extract the .sdcard.bz2 image file that was generated, zip the entire images/imx8mmevk directory with uuu.auto in it, and flash the EVK with uuu. This whole process takes somewhere around 40 minutes, which adds up when I'm making iterative changes to the device tree.

I found these instructions on how to change the device tree at runtime, but I couldn't find the dtb on the i.MX8M Mini to run the commands on.

Any advice on how to make these sort of changes more efficiently would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Outcomes