cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposed materials on pressure side of MPX5999D

Jump to solution
awolfe1
Contributor I

We are using a MPX5999D pressure transducer measuring water pressure.  I would like to know the materials that come in contact with the water.  I know the datasheet mentions a fluorosilicone gel and the stainless steel.  Can I know what those materials are more specifically, and what plastic the housing is made of?  I am no expert in materials, but I assume fluorosilicone gel is a class of materials, not a specific gel.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lisettelozano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Aaron,

In Figure 3 of the datasheet, you will see a cross-sectional diagram of the sensor; this shows what components are inside the sensor which will get in contact with water or any other type of media. The material list is shown in the material declaration found here. The fluorosilicone gel is the one who protects the die and wire bond (more details in application note AN3728).

I hope this information can be helpful.

Have a great day,

Paulina
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lisettelozano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Aaron,

In Figure 3 of the datasheet, you will see a cross-sectional diagram of the sensor; this shows what components are inside the sensor which will get in contact with water or any other type of media. The material list is shown in the material declaration found here. The fluorosilicone gel is the one who protects the die and wire bond (more details in application note AN3728).

Have a great day,

Paulina
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
awolfe1
Contributor I

That is helpful and answers the question, but it also prompted another question.  I did not know there was a "Media Resistant Gel".  Is that available on special order?  Is that only available on certain sensors since I did not notice that as an option in the MPX5999 datasheet?

0 Kudos
lisettelozano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Aaron,

The Fluorosilicone Gel (Type FE-53) is being used for all our standard type of pressure sensors. The Media Resistant Gel (Sifel) is being used for our pressure sensors that are used e.g. in high-temperature environments, mainly in automotive applications. All pressure sensors with the designator MPXAZ, MPXVZ, MPXHZ are those using Media Resistant Gel (Sifel; also the part numbers with this gel are offered in the datasheets).

In the case of the MPX599 it is not offered with the Media Resistant Gel and, therefore, there is not a part number to order it. I apologize for the inconvenience that this can cause.

For your application in water, please note that all of our pressure sensors were designed and are warranted for use in clean dry air only.  The gel coating on the die should not come in contact with moisture as when wet, the gel can swell and cause unreliable readings.  The gel must remain intact as it protects the active surface of the die and wire bonds from oxidation. This will affect the reliability and will damage the sensor in the long term.

The following application notes show more details about media compatibility, mounting techniques, and applications for liquid level monitoring in water:

AN3728 Media Compatibility for IPS PRT Pressure Sensors

AN936 Mounting Techniques, Lead Forming, and Testing of the MPX Series Pressure Sensors

AN1516 Liquid Level Control Using a Pressure Sensor

AN1950 Water Level Monitoring

Have a great day, 

Paulina

0 Kudos