Marc Vandenhende

Another version of CF Lite, another problem arises...

Discussion created by Marc Vandenhende on Feb 6, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 by Anton Kalinin
Yesterday I noticed that a new version of Coldfire Lite is available for download (version 3.2), so I promptly downloaded it and started trying it out with my current application. There seems to be quite a bit of code change in the network related parts of the program. On the positive side, the startup time is now much shorter compared to CFL version 3.0 when using DHCP.

But I noticed some bad stuff too (well, at least one item...) :
When the ethernet cable is disconnected, the CPU resets itself. This means the application is reset also and loses all of it's data. And this is something I cannot live with.

I found that the reset of the board is issued by the ephy_interrupt handler when it detects a link down. I was able to fix this by patching in the ephy_interrupt handler of CFL version 3.0, which worked. But the remaining issue is that all tasks stop working when the link is broken. I haven't figured out why that is yet, but I think this is unacceptable.

It looks like I'm going to have to stick with CFL 3.0 for now. Thanks to the information provided by bkatt, I just managed to fix all my DHCP-related problems (re-negotiating IP address after broken link returns active/becomes available...), but these fixes make no sense with CFL 3.2 if it resets the CPU when the link is broken.

Outcomes