cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple floating licenses

Jump to solution
fongguay
Contributor I
We have a current floating license and recently purchased a second which we have to add.  How do I request a new license file representing both?  Do I need to do this?

thanks,
fongguay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
fongguay:
I'd suggest you to create SR in order to resolve this issue.

CompilerGuru you are right, it was caused due to fact our licenses included FEATUREs instad of INCREMENT lines.

According to FlexLm End Users Guide:
"An INCREMENT line can be used in place of a FEATURE line, as well as to incrementally add licenses to a prior FEATURE or INCREMENT line in the license file."

So I assume it should work together also this your case.

Stanish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi fongguay,

I'd recommend you to merge these licenses into one license.dat.
See the FAQ-28575 for more details.

stanish

0 Kudos
fongguay
Contributor I
Thank you.  However, my existing file has FEATUREs and the license file that I download from the freescale website has INCREMENTs.

Just to clarify a few things in my understanding:
We are utilizing one of our workstations as the license server, but, we all have local license.dat files which include both a) reference to the license server computer, by name and b) local MAC address - does this sound right?

If all that is right, I can run with it and modify each computers license.dat file, but the FEATURE/INCREMENT thing doesn't seem right.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
fongguay,

mixing the licensing FEATUREs and INCREMENTs should not cause any problem.

In fact the license.dat file on the client side should include just 3 lines:

SERVER my_server 001C230ED9E1 1700VENDOR metrowksUSE_SERVER

3-rd line "USE_SERVER" in fact causes the client checks in the licensing feature from the licensing server.
I assume these 3 lines are already available on each client if both your licenses are fixed to the same host.
So merge the license on the server side and restart the service should be enough.

Stanish
0 Kudos
fongguay
Contributor I
stannish,

that didn't work.  I would post the combined license file here if it is secure.  Can we do that?

fongguay
0 Kudos
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
What did not work? Do the clients not find the licenses or is not the right number of licenses available?

I might be wrong here as I never setup any floating license setup. But I can vaguely remember that I once heard (you see I'm really not sure) that multiple floating licenses cannot be combined if they share some common features. Say if the two licenses both provide a counted Win32_CWIDE_Unlimited feature, then the server will only use the first instance of this license. So the second one is ignored (or was it the first one?).
I think in this case license@freescale.com has to send out a combined license.dat which includes a single feature with the added up number of clients.

Well, really, once more a disclaimer: not my area of expertize.

Daniel

BTW: No, I don't think you should post the content of the license files in here.
0 Kudos
stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
fongguay:
I'd suggest you to create SR in order to resolve this issue.

CompilerGuru you are right, it was caused due to fact our licenses included FEATUREs instad of INCREMENT lines.

According to FlexLm End Users Guide:
"An INCREMENT line can be used in place of a FEATURE line, as well as to incrementally add licenses to a prior FEATURE or INCREMENT line in the license file."

So I assume it should work together also this your case.

Stanish

0 Kudos
fongguay
Contributor I
Thank you both for your time and advice. 

I knew that things didn't look right with the whole FEATUREs and INCREMENTs thing.  I realize that CodeWarriorMacrovision does probably read both with no issue, but they don't create two instances of a Pertpetual FL...when combined. 
I also don't see a better way via the canned web interface.  I agree that we either need two license servers, or a combined license file.

I will open a service request and see if I can obtain that.

Again, thank you both.
0 Kudos