KMS Connecting to Custom Hardware

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KMS Connecting to Custom Hardware

appioninc
Contributor II

Hello I am trying to get KMS V1.1 to connect to custom hardware I have developed essentially modeling off of the HVPMC3PH platform and HVP-KV31F120M plugin board.  I am using IAR as my compiler.  The toolchain works fine with the HVPMC3PH platform.

Custom Hardware:  USB Port ->FT230X->KV31F256VLH12P

KMS to Custom Hardware...?

1)  Should the USB connection from a PC with KMS connect automatically with a KV31P with KMS on it?  I.E. - Configure the GUI to the correct COM port and 115.2K Baud?

2)  Assuming 1) is the case I am not able to connect to the KV31FP via KMS.  I would like to try to program the KV31FP directly via a Segger J-LINK and opening the IAR project as I have a 10pin SWD connector on the PCB also.  I am concerned with erasing the KMS library that is resident on the device.  Can you provide instructions or validate how I can assure that using IAR 7.8 & a J-LINK I won't erase the KMS Library?

3)  Any other ideas as to how to debug the PC/USB interface?  I have a Saleae in which I can probe the UART Lines from the PC to the KV31FP but I am not sure of the command/response sequences I would be looking for to determine if the UART data is valid or not...

Regards,

Frank

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

KMS is no longer going to be supported by NXP.  We are discontinuing distribution of the MCU with KMS pre-programmed and the supporting evaluation boards.  

From you past post it looks like you have been working with KMS since 2017. NXP does want to leave you unsupported and are willing to assist you to create a solution based on our proven motor control reference design.

It sounds like you already have hardware designed around the KV31.  The hardware need not change. . With your same hardware you can use the KV31 sensorless FOC reference design software to run your motor.  For general information. See PMSM motor control at nxp.com/motorcontrol.

The reference design for KV31 is covered in AN12374 - I've attached

Attached is a pre-released version of the reference design for the HV kit with some changes to the Hall sensor inputs This is a ported project forApplication note project for the FRDM-KV31 board. 

- Version with tested Hall sensors connected to:
Signal A – pin 43 (FTM1_CH1)
Signal B – pin 64 (FTM2_CH0)
Signal C – pin 65 (FTM2_CH1)

For your learning I reference below tech days training I developed to help you become familiar with Freemaster and MCAT

Look for i.MX Hands-on -

Hands-On Workshop: Get Your Motor Spinning with i.MX RT

These additional references are available on www.nxp.com:

1. Sensorless PMSM Field-Oriented Control (document DRM148).
  2. Motor Control Application Tuning (MCAT) Tool for 3-Phase PMSM (document AN4642).
  3. Sensorless PMSM Field-Oriented Control on Kinetis KV (document AN5237).

I’ve been working with the i.MX RT10xx product lately driving motors.  I’m told that the most recent reference designs including the KV and RT product family will be all supported by MCUXpresso in June.

Best Regards,

Philip Drake

0 Kudos

appioninc
Contributor II

Hello Philip,

Thanks for the reply and really unfortunate news.  So with what you have indicated above I need to 100% clarify some items.  

1)  Is there any means we will have access to the KMS Library that normally comes on the KV31 'P' MCU's?

2)  Believing that your answer is No based on what you are indicating above and so as to NOT Leave Us Unsupported can you tell me the name of the company the developed the KMS Motor Suite as from my recollection this was developed by a 3rd party in which possibly we could engage with them to continue forward with this on the KV31F.

I already had all the Appnotes except for AN12374, Thanks.  Please let me know on 1) and 2).  

Regards,

Frank

0 Kudos

philip_drake
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Frank, 

1) The KMS library is not available for anyone any longer.

2) The company that developed KMS was Linestream. They were purchased by Danfoss.  They are no longer supporting the IP. 

NXP has been doing motor control with the Kinetis V series long before the introduction of KMS.  The Motor control solutions are the basis for many a customers equipment or appliance.  The tools, Freemaster with MCAT, are not as easy to use as KMS but will perform the motor tuning.  We are working on making them easier to use and able to cross platforms.

What KMS type of project are you using.  Position, velocity, sensorless/ sensored.  ?

did you use the state machine generation tool to drive your application?

What is your timeline to complete your application?

Regards,

Philip

0 Kudos