cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ls1020a duart can support RS485 half duplex

Jump to solution
haixiang_liu
Contributor I

Just want to confirm whether ls1020a duart can support RS485 half duplex. Don't see it in the ls1020a reference manual.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

RS485 is electrical standard, from the LS1020A hardware point of view UART should be used to implement RS485.

RS485 half duplex means transmission and reception is performed over the same line (twisted pair). So, you have to manage RS485 line driver and explicitly switch it from reception to transmission. This is usually done in software, by using any GPIO pin. Also, in some types of UART, there is a support for "hardware flow control", so the transmitter can automatically assert hardware flow control line "request to send" (RTS) to start the transmission. There are two types of UART in LS1020A processor - DUART and LPUART. DUART does not support hardware flow control and requires GPIO to manage transmission direction. LPUART supports hardware flow control, so RTS may be used to control transmission direction.

Have a great day,
Alexander,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

RS485 is electrical standard, from the LS1020A hardware point of view UART should be used to implement RS485.

RS485 half duplex means transmission and reception is performed over the same line (twisted pair). So, you have to manage RS485 line driver and explicitly switch it from reception to transmission. This is usually done in software, by using any GPIO pin. Also, in some types of UART, there is a support for "hardware flow control", so the transmitter can automatically assert hardware flow control line "request to send" (RTS) to start the transmission. There are two types of UART in LS1020A processor - DUART and LPUART. DUART does not support hardware flow control and requires GPIO to manage transmission direction. LPUART supports hardware flow control, so RTS may be used to control transmission direction.

Have a great day,
Alexander,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
haixiang_liu
Contributor I

And whether lpuart can support 460800 baud rate?

0 Kudos
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No, we do not offer application note for LPUART in RS485 application.

Maximum baudrate is specified in device datasheet as fPLAT/(2 x 4) where fPLAT is platform clock.

However, it is said that "The actual attainable baud rate is limited by the latency of interrupt processing".

So, this means the maximum baudrate is limited by software.

0 Kudos
haixiang_liu
Contributor I

thanks for your answer, alexander

0 Kudos
haixiang_liu
Contributor I

And one more question, do you have any application note how to use lpuart to driver rs485?

0 Kudos
haixiang_liu
Contributor I

thanks very much for your reply and it answer my question. thanks.

0 Kudos