How to understand 'other' in 'MODULE STATISTIC' section of MAp file?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to understand 'other' in 'MODULE STATISTIC' section of MAp file?

MicroTang
Contributor III
Dear All,

There is a  MODULE STATISTIC section in map file, e.g
*********************************************************************************************
MODULE STATISTIC
  Name                                               Data    Code   Const
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  STDLIB.C.o (ansixb.lib)                      0         12      0
  STRING.C.o (ansixb.lib)                     0         23      0
  rtshc12.c.o (ansixb.lib)                       0       544      0
  rtsxgate.cxgate.o (ansi_xg.lib)            0      114      0
  other                                                 512      37   1630

All items are clear except other, what Data, Code and Const will be included in other Can we view the details of the data, code and const? How to reduce the size of other?

Thanks

Michael Tang
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
The other element contains all objects which are not defined in a specific module (object file),
There are many different things like the stack (that might be the 512 Data), the startup data structure, copy down information, vectors defined in prm's, included srecords and more. If you are running XGATE code out of RAM, the copy down information for that XGATE code might be also included in others, I'm not sure.

I usually look in the list which is sorted by address to find out where all the memory goes, not primarily in the module list.

Daniel
0 Kudos

MicroTang
Contributor III
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But I have a question need your help. Could you please tell me any details about how to find out where the memory goes?

Thank you very much!

Michael
0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I think you have to study your map file, we cannot really help as we obviously do not have it.
Also you did not provide any details on what you are looking for, if you run out of RAM, Flash, unpaged memory, copy down area, ... .
So I think you should go on studying your map file and try to understand what all the elements in your layout are, why there are in there and if you do need them.

Sorry, just don't see how I could help more here :smileysad:.

Daniel
0 Kudos

MicroTang
Contributor III
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will double cheeck my MAP file.

Michael
0 Kudos