cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config Tools v4 - where to download?

borgestrand-ber
Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I'm learning MCUXpresso on an MIMXRT1050-EVK with early-generation silicon. I was hoping to get some programming done over the weekend. 

MCUXpresso Config Tool v5 does not support the silicon on the board. Judging by the seminar handouts I'm following, "MCUXpresso_Config_Tools_v4_x64.exe" does support it. 

Could someone please point me to this version of the Config Tools?

I can't change to the newer silicon in the MCU settings of the project without installing the SDK for the updated version of the EVK. 

Best,

Børge

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

fangfang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Please download it as the link. URL:https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/preDownload.jsp.

0 Kudos

borgestrand-ber
Contributor II

Thank you!

I have now installed v4, and it seems to behave exactly like v5. In the handouts the top-right section of the Pin Tool has the tabs "Registers" and "Sources". 

In the installation I just made the top-right section of the Pin Tool has the tabs "Overview", "Code Preview" and "Registers". 

The handout material says "MCUXpresso configures the correct target from the selected project automatically and load the current settings. You will see the current selected Pins for this project. Click the “Sources” Menu Tab to monitor the code. The source file is actually a copy of the original fpin_mux.c file in the current project folder."

When the project is first imported from the SDK there is no .mex file, but pins are defined in pin_mux.c. When I run Pin Tool (v4 or v5), the proposed pin_mux.c is empty. 

Is the Pin Tool of MCUXpresso Config Tools supposed to parse a pin_mux.c file and use what is already in BOARD_InitPins(void) to populate a .mex file? 

The top of pin_mux.c says:

/*
* TEXT BELOW IS USED AS SETTING FOR TOOLS *************************************
!!GlobalInfo
product: Pins v3.0
processor: MIMXRT1052xxxxx
package_id: MIMXRT1052DVL6A
mcu_data: i_mx_1_0
processor_version: 0.0.3
* BE CAREFUL MODIFYING THIS COMMENT - IT IS YAML SETTINGS FOR TOOLS ***********
*/

Is this a configuration format which is supposed to work with v3 but not with newer versions?

Please let me know the intended information flow here, from SDK import to successful pin manipulation in Pin Tool, to correctly generated pin_mux.c. I don't yet have the skill to say whether there is a bug in this system, all I can say is that real-life behaviour differs from the handouts in that actual use of the tool overwrites a pin_mux.c and thereby causes pin configurations to be lost.

Best regards, 

Børge

0 Kudos

borgestrand-ber
Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I ended up with a crude hack to work around this issue. This is hardly future-proof but enabled me to keep programming during the weekend. Can't wait to get a dev kit with the updated silicon :-)

Here is what I did:

- Install SDK for MIMXRT1050-EVK (the discontinued board I have here)

- Replace MIMXRT1052DVL6A -> MIMXRT1052DVL6B in the *_manifest.xml files

- Install MCUXpresso Config Tools v5

- Import SDK examples in MCUXpresso

- Change CPU_MIMXRT1052DVL6A -> CPU_MIMXRT1052DVL6B in fsl_device_registers.h

- Run Build, Debug and Pin Tool with success

This way Pin Tool v5 believes it is on the supported MIMXRT1052DVL6B while the SDK is installed for the CPU_MIMXRT1052DVL6A. The hack has been tested on dev_audio_speaker_bm and hello_world_xip

I also tried to do this on projects which were imported for MIMXRT1052DVL6A, after changing all the manifest.xml files as shown above. I edited the .mex file the same way but the tools were a bit grumpier than with a clean import after the hack. 

Cheers,

Børge

0 Kudos

borgestrand-ber
Contributor II

NXP support:

is the Pin Tool of MCUXpresso Config Tools v5 supposed to parse a pin_mux.c file and use what is already in BOARD_InitPins(void) to populate a .mex file?

I'm asking because this didn't happen in my project. I was following offical tutorial Hand-outs which refer to v4. That installation file I could not find, so I resorted to the hack above. It works without warning, but doesn't seem to parse BOARD_InitPins(void). 

While I understand you may not wish to offer support on my hack, please let me know if Pin Tool v5 is supposed to parse BOARD_InitPins(void), or how I may invoke such parsing manually. 

Best,

Børge

0 Kudos