AnsweredAssumed Answered

LDO-Bypass affecting i.MX WDT, enabled in U-Boot

Question asked by ehson on Apr 12, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 16, 2019 by ehson

Hello folks,

We're using 4.14 GA release for i.MX6Q SabreSD rev 1.2. Our use-case dictates enabling the WDT in U-Boot, and ping it in userspace via systemd. So we do by enabling IMX_WATCHDOG, HW_WATCHDOG and setting WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT_MSECS to, say, 120000 in U-Boot. We also disable CONFIG_WATCHDOG_HANDLE_BOOT_ENABLED in Linux.

In default DTB, imx6q-sabresd.dtb, ldo-bypass mode is configured. We've observed erratic behavior of WDT when it was triggered in U-Boot. Even with systemd servicing the watchdog through WDIOC_KEEPALIVE on /dev/watchdog, POR happens for some reason. It is like as if servicing WDOG_WSR by Linux driver imx2_wdt.c has no effect at all.

We've also verified that this behavior is not seen when using LDO, or WDT was not enabled in U-Boot. The only difference in the value of WCR, when using correctly working internal LDO mode, is debug-enable-bit. It is set by U-Boot (Why does U-Boot driver set that?) and is write-once-per-reset, but is seen cleared when we check it in PMIC mode. Linux driver doesn't touch this as far as I've looked.

Above is our reason to believe that ldo-bypass is doing something funny in U-Boot, thus causing WDT to go haywire.

Outcomes