cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN5180, Zero Power Wakeup

naga
Contributor III

Dear Sir,

I want to design an electronic device with the LPC54S018JxM microcontroller and the PN5180 module.

The power source of the system will be a 3.6V battery and / or the energy of an NFC field provided by the PN5180 module.

In document 436534 describing the PN5180 module, the electrical characteristics of the VDHF pin are not well documented and there is no explanation of how the microcontroller can be powered from this pin (possibly dual: battery / NFC power).

Is there more detailed documentation on this issue?
Is there an application schematics to help me?

Thank You!

Neculai

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

>>Is it possible for the PN5180 to power the microcontroller exclusively from NFC energy, in non-battery systems or in cases when the battery is discharged?

It can't supply PN5180! 

Have a nice day!

BR

Weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Neculai,

See datasheet of PN5180, please!

--------------------

The PN5180 supports an external silicon system-power-on switch by using the energy of
the RF field generated by an NFC phone to switch on the system, like it is generated
during the NFC polling loop. This unique and new Zero-Power-Wake-up feature allows
designing systems with a power consumption close to zero during standby.

---------------------

When NFC phone is close to PN5180 antenna, VDHF pin can output 1~3V voltage, which can be used to wake up Power , MCU , or enable external LDO / DCDC, just like the usage of GPIO.

At VDHF pin, you can connect a 470nF capacitor.

Hope the information can help you!

Have a nice day!

NXP TIC weidong

0 Kudos

naga
Contributor III

Dear Sir,

Thank you for answer. It partially clarified my question.
However, I would like to reformulate the question.

Is it possible for the PN5180 to power the microcontroller exclusively from NFC energy, in non-battery systems or in cases when the battery is discharged?

Thank You!!

Neculai

0 Kudos

naga
Contributor III

Dear Sir,

Thank you for answer. It partially clarified my question.
However, I would like to reformulate the question.

Is it possible for the PN5180 to power the microcontroller exclusively from NFC energy, in non-battery systems or in cases when the battery is discharged?

Thank You!!

Neculai

0 Kudos