IMX6 Boot options

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6 Boot options

chrisroed
Contributor IV

I'm developing an IMX6 based product and having some issues with the boot options.  The final product is going to have an eMMC which will be pre programmed before the PCBA is assembled.

Based on what I'm reading, I have two options...

1.  I boot from fuses, which means that every single PCBA needs to be plugged in at the factory and the correct fuses need to be burned.  We have a large volume of devices and this would add a lot of cost at the factory.

2. I use the "Internal Boot" mode and then have to route and set the 32 GPIO pins to boot from the correct device, then burn fuses in software so that people can't hijack our device.  (Do we actually need to set each pin? Can I tie them directly to GND and VCC instead of going through a resistor?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Chris Roed,

Both alternatives are feasible, although each one has its own drawbacks.

You may use the second alternative if it’s more cost-effective for you. In this case you would need to set all the required GPIO pins for booting in your configuration and you would need to use a resistor to avoid damage to the processor.

There is a third alternative that is requesting the i.MX parts to be shipped with a customized fuse programming. You can ask for more information regarding this alternative with your Distributor.

I hope this helps!
Regards,

0 Kudos