cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KSZ8041 PHY Chip for the MCF52259

ND
Contributor I
Hi,
   I have on order MCF52259 processors and also ordered KSZ8041 PHY as in the demo kit.  The demo kit has the KSZ8041NL , but I can only get the KSZ8041TLI part. The only difference I can see is that the TLI part also does SMII interface, package type, and about £1 more expensive. I have never used a PHY chip before, but can anyone tell me if there would be a problem using this one?

Thanks
Neil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

HLaidet
Contributor I

Hello,

I used a KSZ8041TL connected to a MCF52259 because TQFP package is easier to solder.

It runs with the same software the DEMO board.

The only problem i had (lost link sometimes) was the capacitors on quartz too low (18pF increased to 33pF).

No other problems.

Regards,

Henri

0 Kudos

Flaviohpo
Contributor II

what do you mean with:

"The only problem i had (lost link sometimes) was the capacitors on quartz too low (18pF increased to 33pF)."

did u use an independent crystal for the CI? whats frequency? 25MHz?

0 Kudos

HLaidet
Contributor I

i use the basic schematic with a crystal 25MHz(Fundamental)+1M resistor and two 18pF capacitors ( like the schematic of M52259DEMO board ).

the quartz is: CITIZEN HCM49 25.000MABJ-UT

because it is the first time i use a PHY, then i did a test endurance.

that's when i found errors ethernet.

by putting traps, i have found losses of LINK (status register, bit LINK STATUS).

to get everything correct, i had to increase the 18pF capacitors on quartz.

now the test is done without errors (several hours).

Henri

0 Kudos

Flaviohpo
Contributor II
I have the same question, but I also would like to know some alternatives to the KSZ8041NL that is not QFN package. Thanks.
0 Kudos